Thread: Mayfly week

Mayfly week

Well, it’s Mayfly week here in Michigan. I venture to say millions hatch, live for a few days then die. Makes for a bit of a mess for a week or so, but on the bright side is a good indicator of water quality.

75D87355-A0CC-4132-A93C-67DFF95B3D1F.jpg 89BF7FA2-70DF-4EA8-97DA-AC2BA7209149.jpg 4BB448B5-C097-4E98-8E59-7F54B2370AF7.jpg

Oh boy! I remember the annual Mayfly hatch up on the St Lawrence in northern NY. Swarms so thick they cloud the sky. Tough to get your windshield clean enough to drive. Glad I don't live up there any more....snow, black flies, deer flies, no-see-ums, mosquitoes....at least the Mayflys don't bite.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Well, it’s Mayfly week here in Michigan. I venture to say millions hatch, live for a few days then die. Makes for a bit of a mess for a week or so, but on the bright side is a good indicator of water quality.
    I feel left out. We don't have such weeks. I may have seen one before but I'm not sure.

And no baseball to take advantage of it

They haven't started their hatch here yet. Some years they pile up so badly on the Mississippi river bridge they have to plowed off. They are very slippery. They swarm the lights and die and pile up underneath them. I believe they live 24 hours.