Thread: Substitute for 38mm Spanner Wrench ???

Substitute for 38mm Spanner Wrench ???

Lost the 38mm Spanner wrench for my Sears Wood Lathe. Will a long handled adjustable wrench work as a substitute ??

Absolutely. Plus the spanner will eventually show up.

It's either in one of the drawers of the tool boxes, or buried in the sawdust around the Lathe ! LOL

I went to AgriSupply and got an 1-1/2" wrench to remove chucks with inserts. Cost <$12. Spent a little time thinning it so that it would get between the chuck and the spindle flange. Should also work for quite well for a 38mm substitute.

Look for a service wrench in the size you want. Service wrenches are thin and shorter handled making them ideal for removing chucks. Harbor Freight sells them by the set in metric or SAE.

I made my own wrenches for my lathe out of aluminum plate. I used either 1/4" or 3/16" and used a scroll saw to cut it. I use it for taking off my chuck and use another one for taking off an adapter. Even though it is made out of aluminum (garden variety 6061) it doesn't deform.

I also had a need for a dedicated 5/8" or 3/4" wrench for the drawbar of my metal mill. In that case, I just added the size onto my "list" and the next time I was at a garage sale I picked it up for 50 cents.