Thread: HVLP advice wanted

HVLP advice wanted

After 25 years my faithful Graco HVLP turbine died with a shriek and smoke today. I primarily spray nitrocellulose lacquer. Does anyone have some input as to the best choice to replace it? Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Geyer View Post
    After 25 years my faithful Graco HVLP turbine died with a shriek and smoke today. I primarily spray nitrocellulose lacquer. Does anyone have some input as to the best choice to replace it? Any advice is appreciated.
    Thanks

Open up the case, and most likely you will find an Ametek blower inside. These can be purchased from Grainger. When I bought my Apollo, friend lent me his blower to take apart to build my own. Sure enough Apollo blower had an Ametek blower inside of case.

What quality level are you looking at? I have a Fuji MiniMite 3 that works really well with low viscosity finishes. I’d prefer a better one but this one will produce a fine finish with a little practice.

Dan

My Apollo 700 two stage is well over 20 years old, and I have no complaints other than wishing the lower air filter was a bit higher off the floor for better filtration. It has done everything I have asked of it.

Hobby, DIY and rental maintenance on my own units..not pro.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Pull the motor bearings and replace. At that rpm you may want to use shielded not sealed.
    Bil lD

I have a Fuji MiniMite 4. Like Dan said it does a nice job with low viscosity finishes. I mostly spray water based lacquer, it works well for that but I found a husky hvlp gun and compressor works as well as the Fuji, maybe a little better, for much less $.

why not get another more powerful Graco?

This one is pretty sweet:

https://www.graco.com/us/en/contract...o-hvlp-90.html

Thanks to all for your input. I decided to go with the Fuji Mini Mite 4 and so far, it is working well for me.