Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brains are weird

Brains are weird

So this spring I've been on a bit of a binge trying to help out our cavity nesting birds, making everything from boxes for wrens to barred owls, as well as my bat palace (no bats yet). So I was primed for this.

I got an email from Lee Valley yesterday, as I often do. The headline was "How to build nesting tables". I puzzled over it for quite some time, wondering what kinds of birds nested on a table; thinking is there really enough demand for osprey platforms that LV is highlighting them?

After approximately forever, the light came on.

Kkkkk... thanks for the laughs early this morning. Good way to start a new say!

Have you a great day. Stay safe!

Brains are weird, my first thought was a robin. Then the other half of the brain woke up.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

My brain does that a lot when I'm browsing thread titles on a forum.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

Last week shortly after I got home from the grocery store I was looking evverywhere for a box of crackers that I had just bought, I went thorough everything in the cupboard, moving stuff around, couldn't find them anywhere..... then I dawned on me I didn't buy the box that I had looked at in the store, I bought the bag. There they were on the shelf in the cupboard right in front of me, I must have picked them up and moved them several times looking for the box.

I guess, if you go looking for a box you won't see a bag.

The mind is a dangerous place.

These stories while humorous, tell us a lot about how preconceived ideas prevent us from seeing what is in clear view directly in front of us.

I think that we uses a go, no-go gage system, we have an idea in our heads and do a comparison check

A. either it fits that idea
    B. it doesn't

So we can easily miss or dismiss what we are actually "looking" at because we are not actually "looking" but instead comparing it to what we are expecting it to be.

Blog Entries
    I puzzled over it for quite some time, wondering what kinds of birds nested on a table
    That was also my first though. The newsletter wasn't opened. It dawned on me later while checking email again what it was about.

I guess, if you go looking for a box you won't see a bag.
    This happens to me all the time when thinking what something is "supposed to like" instead of how it actually looks.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I think I really am losing my mind. I would have sworn I titled this thread "Brains are weird".

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I think I really am losing my mind. I would have sworn I titled this thread "Brains are weird".
    I must be too. That's the title I remember.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.

You did title it "brains are weird"!. Someone is messing with your head.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Last edited by Mark Hennebury; 06-07-2020 at 1:06 PM.

Curious. No record that it was edited or by who. Was I in violations of some double-secret Board rule? Or is it the Deep State coming to get me?

I can't edit it myself, and it makes no sense now.
    Last edited by roger wiegand; 06-07-2020 at 5:24 PM.

I can fix it for you...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

This looks like a table to me.
    We have a pair of hawks that have raised a baby for the last 4 years or so. They nest near the top of a neighbors spruce. not really sure what holds up the weight.
    Bil lD.

https://www.tdworld.com/electric-uti...reduce-outages

"Brains are weird"...

-brought back memories of Bill & Nada's Cafe in SLC back in the old days, wondering if you were spreading your culinary wings a bit too close to the sun

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I get stuff like that more than I like to admit!

There is a neighborhood shop called “Austin Tri Cyclist”. Bikes, gear, etc. for triathletes. My wife admitted kind if recently that she thought it was a kid’s store that sold tricycles. We had a pretty good laugh about that.

Etik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep