Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 24" planer, time to go?

24" planer, time to go?

I have a 24" Casadei planer, probably a 1980's model.
    It's a beast, it sits there and just hums no matter what wood I put through it.
    However, I don't use it that much. I am making fewer tables, so I'm not milling as much big lumber.
    In addition my shoulders are in bad shape and I think twice before taking on jobs that will need big lumber.

So I got to thinking that maybe it might be time to move this machine on. And reclaim the real estate too.

On the other hand there is something to be said for a machine that big that just works. It might be worth having just for the times I need it.

Back to the negatives - the table raises and lowers electronically. I don't like this, because I find it more difficult to fine tune than a manual adjuster.

My Dewalt 735 gets used every day (Infinity carbide blades seem to be everlasting). I get to thinking I could really use a stationary planer for this work, and that leads to lusting for some old arn American machine, maybe a Delta 18".
    But that's creeping back up there in size. So should I just stick with the 24"?

What does the oracle say?
    Mark

I have a 24" planer from the 40's, a Monarch by American Sawmill. 2800#'s,10' of skate wheels in and out. I also have a Parks 12" that gets more use. I don't use the big planer daily, but I know I would kick myself several times if it was gone.

As you say, there is something about a big machine that just works.

The old Delta 18" planers are difficult to maintain and set up. Some of the settings are made with set screws that bear on threaded shafts. Those threads are toast after a few years of adjustment. The variable speed adjustment pulley is held on to a shaft with a tiny set screw, and falls off. Tear out is also a problem. Adjusting those wedges in the wedge bed is a fight. I would stick with the Casadei. If you really want to get rid of it, I would buy it.
    Last edited by William Hodge; 06-06-2020 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spulling

Bradley, with a machine like that it's appropriate you live in a town called Stout!

William, no matter what I do I'm not buying an 18" Delta wedge-bed planer. Thanks for that overview.

Is there a stationary "medium duty / size" planer that is highly regarded?

Most of the old 18" planers the motor sticks completely out the side. Both direct drive and belt drive. I assume with your current planer the motor is in the base and the total width is not really any more then a 18" planer plus motor.
    Bil lD.

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    The old Delta 18" planers are difficult to maintain and set up. Some of the settings are made with set screws that bear on threaded shafts. Those threads are toast after a few years of adjustment. The variable speed adjustment pulley is held on to a shaft with a tiny set screw, and falls off. Tear out is also a problem. Adjusting those wedge in the wedge bed is a fight. I would stick with the Casadei. If you really want to get rid of it, would bu y it.

Shouldn't there be brass slugs under the setscrews? That is how my Dewalt RAS did it more then 50 years ago. They also sell setscrews with an attached brass tip. For bigger bolts you can just use a solid brass or bronze bolt.
    Bil lD.

https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-tipped-screws/

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Shouldn't there be brass slugs under the setscrews? That is how my Dewalt RAS did it more then 50 years ago. They also sell setscrews with an attached brass tip. For bigger bolts you can just use a solid brass or bronze bolt.
    Bil lD.

https://www.mcmaster.com/brass-tipped-screws/
    Bill, I maintained an 18" Delta wedge bed in a shop for ten years. Before I had to deal with it, someone else might have taken the brass parts out. The manual would show what the planer was supposed to look like.

Lots of companies do put in brass wear parts, and it's a pleasure to find them.

If the Casadei planer works well and you can depend on it and it’s paid for and you have the space for it, why would you get rid of it? Unless you just want to shake things up, but at the same time, why mess with a good thing? There are lots of potential issues to deal with on used planers and if you have a good one, I’d think hard about giving that up for a potential unknown, unless you’re looking for a challenge. Does it have a hand wheel at all for the table raise and lower or is it strictly electronic with no manual backup? That might be a deal breaker for me personally, but everybody’s different.

I’ve been in the market for the right sized 20-24” planer for the last year or so. There’s a 20” Casadei planer made in 91 that’s semi local to me for sale that the asking price keeps dropping on that tempted me. There’s also a well kept late 70s era SCM S50 (20” planer) that I’ve been in talks with a local machinery dealer about, but not sure I want to spend that much. Then there’s the Yates American B44 (24”, 3k #) that I my brother just bought for $500 in running condition that he wants me to “foster” for the next several years until he has a shop that can handle 3 phase. The point of all this is that I really don’t know the true condition and reliability of any of these potential machines until I get them in my shop, inspect them closely and use them for a while. If you’ve already got that in the Casadei and there’s nothing lacking about it, that’s something to consider.

What is the footprint / dimensions of the Casadei? It’s basically a big square, isn’t it? With the exception of maybe an Oliver 399, I don’t know of an old arn 18” machine that is a significant space savings compared to a 24” machine, especially if you already have room for the 24”.
    Still waters run deep.

Phillip you put my phantom thoughts right there on the page. Good advice. No I don’t want another project right now. Think I’ll stick with the Casadei for a while longer.
    Bill the footprint of the Casadei is 31 1/2” x 46”.
    The table adds 4” either side to make that 39 1/2”.

For set screws that bear on threaded rods, you need either a floating soft-metal slug, or a soft, swivel-tip set screw.

The point is, whatever is bearing on the the threads shouldn't rotate with the set screw, so it can stay aligned and wear consistent grooves that match the threads, increasing bearing surface and locking ability.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

I also have a casadei 24” planer and a small delta planer. I love them both and think they give you a lot of options
    My version of the r63 has both a power electronic table height adjustment and a manual knob on the top of the machine for final adjustment

Mark,

You might consider a newer 15” model. It’s not as sexy as a huge old machine, but it seems to meet the requirements you’ve laid out.

The big difference, other than width, is a non-segmented feed roller, limiting your ability to feed multiple pieces of different thickness.

When’s the last time you needed to plane something wider than 15”?

Not sure what jointer you gave but how about replace both planers and your jointer with a nice 16” combo machine. Reasonably large capacity and only one footprint.

Blog Entries
    I'd hope Mark decided one way on another in the last 3 years since he posted the question.

Ha! yes I did Jared, sold that planer.