Thread: Edge Guide for Fixed Base Router

Edge Guide for Fixed Base Router

I picked up a DeWalt pk611 today at Rockler at a ridiculously low price, brought it home and started to shop accessories like dust control and extra bases. My regular micro adjustable edge guide fits the 611 plunge base just fine (what a surprise), but the fixed base requires a special edge guide. I started to press the green button to order one, and then I thought--wait a minute, when have I ever used an edge guide with a fixed base router? Answer: Never. No, it can't be that simple, can it?

Question: Do any of you use an edge guide for use on a fixed base?
    Regards,

Tom

I have a beautiful mixed hardwood edge guide for my fused-base PC 690. The guide was hand-made by Pat Warner, may he rest in peace, and it's a gem. Once I put the router in a table I never once picked up the edge guide. I guess I've never found that anything was too big to run over the router table (which is in the 52-inch table saw extension). Instead of an edge guide I have a killer router fence on the table. Treat yourself to some bits with the money.

MicroFence is the premium solution...it slices, it dices...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have two edge guides, including a micro fence, both of which fit my plunge routers.The 611 fixed base does not utilize the traditional rod edge guide So a special edge guide must be purchased fo4 this base.

Ive never used one for a fixed base, instead relying on bearings for edge work (round-overs for example), a table and fence for dados. Mortise and tenons, when done on the router, are done with shop made jig using a plunge base.

The question is whether anyone uses an edge guide for a fixed base (not a plunge) router.
    Regards,

Tom

I made 2 edge guides, based on Mr. Pat Warners design. You are right, its a gem. One for my Bosch colt, the other for my 611. Both were for the plunge bases.
    I ordered drill rod, bronze tipped set screws, and solid bronze set screws from McMaster Carr. It was not costly. It makes for ultra smooth action, no slop!
    The set screws don't mar the drill rod.
    The 90* fixture can be made of any hardwood, lexan, aluminum combination that you have on hand, or can obtain. I happened to have access to some aluminum
    and 1/2" thick lexan. Just another option to consider.
    Every time that I use them, I think of Mr Warner!

Thomas I sure never have. I do not own an edge guide for any of my routers and can not think of one thing that I need one for. That being said I have a router adaptor for my Makita tracksaw tracks and have made and used " router boards" for years to cut dados and grooves cross grain in plywood or solid wood. I also have two shapers in my shop that I use for all edge work with rebate type cuts. I guess like most things woodworking "there is more than one way to skin the cat".

We miss Pat today. He was a tireless voice advocating router use.

Not to turn anyone away from buying more gadgets and and keeping the economy stimulated.
    But for the thrifty set, there is an easy (and fast) way to have a never ending supply of edge guides for a fixed base router. Here are three methods, each requiring a straight piece of scrap wood.

Method 1 - Hot glue the scrap piece to your base plate in the location needed. Cut a notch in it if you need to partially bury the bit for say, a rabbet. To remove the hot glue, use a bit of denatured alcohol and it will peel right off.
    Method 2 - Same as above but instead of hot glue, use two small C clamps if there are flat spots up top for the clamps to register. To micro adjust the fence, loosen one clamp so the fence will pivot, then re-tighten. In the same way you can swing the fence into the bit to partially bury it and zero clearance.
    Method 3 - More involved by about 10 minutes, make your own accessory sub base that will give you a bigger footprint and allow a clamp on fence as in Method 2.

Need an ad hoc router table? Clamp the router with fence upside down in a vise or jobsite Workmate and rout on.

Yes, obviously I use a fence with a fixed base router from time to time. I feel the fixed base routers feel a lot more balanced when used on edge than the top heavy plunge based routers. For the small/mini routers this may be less of an issue.

Thomas, did you contact MicroFence and ask if they have a special adapter for that particular router? It's worth a call or email since you already own the great fence they produce.
    --

Can’t remember the last time an edge guide was used. I have several guides but have not used them in a long time; most items can be handled on the router table.

I have several basic B&D router edge guides that I picked up at garage sales, BUT now that you mention it, I have never used one. I just picked them up because they were free or cheap, fit several routers I have, and I figured I would need one some day.....

They are TOOLS...I can't get rid of them
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Tom, to be specific to your question, no, I have never used an edge guide with a fixed base...only with the plunge base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    MicroFence is the premium solution...it slices, it dices...
    True, but cheap it isn't. And it always takes me a minute to remember how to reassemble it, but it certainly slices and dices.

And yes, I only use them with a plunge router. Never thought of using them with a fixed router base.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 06-07-2020 at 8:02 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

That's a good point, Alan...using an edge guide with a fixed-base router would be a challenge unless the cut can start beyond an edge and continue through the other edge.
    --

+1 on Edwin's comment.