Thread: Lie Nielsen No 9 Iron Miter Plane Types

Lie Nielsen No 9 Iron Miter Plane Types

Can anyone provide little help with some background to these 2 no 9 iron miter planes from Lie Nielsen, and their differences, please?. I got these from a friend of a friend and I plan to keep one and sell the other. I am not sure how to determine which one though. One has an extra cherry knob, the other has no threaded insert for one.

61310345870__E937A0CA-0B7C-4B43-A04E-FC98F4D61E2C.jpg 61310315918__47E64F89-3F9E-4659-86FC-83A9E2F88A61.jpg

Anything helps, thanks!

The one without a hole for the knob is the newer of the two.
    They make a attachment called a hotdog no joke. I have the newer model and a hotdog attachment.
    I recommend you keep the one that’s has a side square to the base. Or the best if the two.
    Nice find nice friends.
    Aj

Blog Entries
    The top one in the images appears to have a hot dog.

When my #62 was purchased a hot dog was bought with it. It can be used on either side for left or right hand shooting.

There are a few shown on ebay completed listings sold from $735.52 to $850. There are also some that didn't sell. One listed at $1,000 the other got up to $650 but didn't meet the reserve.

My feeling is the knob may cause more stress on the body in use than the hot dog.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Tanks! In that case I think I’m leaning towards keeping the one with the hot dog

I might have to leave my #9 go! Since I got the Veritas miter plane, I hardly use the #9, as the Veritas just works so much better.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Mine has the side knob and I bought the hot dog as well. I actually use both! I push my thumb up against the knob and curl my fingers around the hot dog. I use it for small thin wood, and if it's good and sharp it works great. If I needed to shoot wider, thicker, stock, I'd opt for the LV or LN Shooting planes, mostly for the skew blade.

DC

Naïve question: these are discontinued precursors to the No. 51 shooting plane?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Naïve question: these are discontinued precursors to the No. 51 shooting plane?
    The LN #9 is an entirely different plane than the #51 shooting plane, based on the Stanley #9. The Stanley #51 also have available a cast iron shooting board.

You may want to do a web search for "The Superior Works" or "Patrick's Blood and Gore", which are Patrick Leach's superb listing (and his color commentary) about Stanley planes.

Blog Entries
    When my LN #62 was purchased the #9 was very much considered. My recollection is the #62 has a lower angle of attack which tipped my decision to the #62.

You may want to do a web search for "The Superior Works" or "Patrick's Blood and Gore", which are Patrick Leach's superb listing (and his color commentary) about Stanley planes.
    My understanding of the TOS allows the posting of this link > http://www.supertool.com

This is to the first page. Go about three pages in before bookmarking.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 06-08-2020 at 2:33 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    When my LN #62 was purchased the #9 was very much considered. My recollection is the #62 has a lower angle of attack which tipped my decision to the #62.

My understanding of the TOS allows the posting of this link > http://www.supertool.com

This is to the first page. Go about three pages in before bookmarking.

jtk
    I also have an LN #62, and I use it more than the #9 for shooting, but use the LV miter shooting plane more than all of them! The LV is just so comfortable in hand!

I bought a Silicone Bronze #9 back in 99. It has never been used or sharpened. I hadn’t either thought of using it or selling it, but 21 yrs later maybe I should get with one or the other😉
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    The LN #9 is an entirely different plane than the #51 shooting plane, based on the Stanley #9. The Stanley #51 also have available a cast iron shooting board.

Don’t type blood and gore .com

That is NOT a hand tool website.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    Don’t type blood and gore .com

That is NOT a hand tool website.
    Eeeeew! Thanks for the warning.

Mr. Leach's monthly tools for sale letter contains a lot of information about tools.

Start here > http://www.supertool.com

jtk