Thread: Complex Rosewood Heirloom Stand build

1. Complex Rosewood Heirloom Stand build

Hi Guys,

Some of you might enjoy the various techniques used in building this heirloom Rosewood Anvil base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKQCXCxi3_Q

Enjoy!

What is this for? An anvil is usually for beating on. Rosewood doesn't usually get used for such a dirty job. So you must mean the huge heavy anvil and rosewood for some presentation purpose?

3. I built this anvil for myself and to have fun! Yes, I know how anvils, and whole bunch of other tools, are used. And yes this will be used as an anvil - if you watched the whole video you would know that you can pound on that anvil 24/7 and not damage any part of the base.

The rosewood was flooring from my old house from 30 years ago. Cleaning up after using a tool is a personal choice.

Thanks Shiraz,

No question that base will last. Beautiful job, bet you had fun with it.

Just wondering, how will you move it without damage?

PS: Nice little shop, too.

Rick P
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Mr. Balolia,

Thanks for sharing the video. Thanks for sponsoring the SMC.

Wow Shiraz! What a project. Thanks for creating and sharing the video of the build. I can't imagine what you will be using that anvil for but it it will definitely be solid.

I have a question though. The aluminum corner guards do not appear to be structural. Why did you need to use such long screws to attach those that led to the need to offset the screws?

Thanks again for high quality video.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    I ran into this a while back. A fun video to watch and the result is a sweet setup Shiraz. Thanks for sharing it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

8. Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Thanks Shiraz,

No question that base will last. Beautiful job, bet you had fun with it.

Just wondering, how will you move it without damage?

PS: Nice little shop, too.

Rick P
    Thank you!

That anvil is for my shop at work (the one in the video) and the smaller one for my shop at home, where I also have a nice set-up. The anvil has been moved to it final place in the knife making/grinding area of the large shop you see in the video. It was moved by "Molly" my girlfriend in the video

9. Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Wow Shiraz! What a project. Thanks for creating and sharing the video of the build. I can't imagine what you will be using that anvil for but it it will definitely be solid.

I have a question though. The aluminum corner guards do not appear to be structural. Why did you need to use such long screws to attach those that led to the need to offset the screws?
    Good question and very observant! I built the base so that it will last centuries and so everything was built extra heavy duty. I wanted the screws to penetrate through the two 5/4 plywood pieces into the core of the base. I did not want shorter screws popping out if the thing was hit by a sledge hammer or a forklift bumped into it.

Very interesting video. Thanks for producing that. It kept me interested throughout.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Very nice, fit-for-purpose build that also looks top-shelf! I enjoyed the video. Thanks for sharing it!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful execution and end result.
    I worked as a development machinist at two national research laboratories. Those shops have nothing on your “shop at work”.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thank so much Sir for sharing. Very interesting and beautiful work. And thank you for caring about your customers the way you do.
    Bob