Thread: Air Compressor Help

Air Compressor Help

I have a Ingersoll Rand model P1IU-A9 air compressor that's rated 4.3 cfm @90 psi and 3.2 cfm @ 135 psi. It's a 4 gallon unit and rated at 100% continuous duty.

I'd like to buy the Harbor Freight 20 oz. gravity feed hvlp spray gun. (the purple gun) Harbor Freight says the gun needs 6cfm @ 40 psi.

Will my compressor handle spraying water based poly with this gun?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

It will but you won’t be able to continually spray as the compressor would need to cycle basically the whole time. Small bursts is what you’ll get, so if you are doing a big table, don’t try it. A small project might be worth a try.

I was afraid of that answer. Oh well guess I'll skip that purchase.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

It should run the small HVLP gun with no problems. That gun is about equal to a spray can for coverage and flow rate. Worth a try at $10.00 on sale now. I put a small pressure regulator right on the gun for easy adjustment. Make sure it is a regulator not just a needle valve that they try to sell as a regulator..
    Bil lD.

https://www.harborfreight.com/adjustable-detail-spray-gun-92126.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/150-psi-air-compressor-regulator-kit-with-dial-gauge-68223.html

Take this with a grain of salt I bet Horrible Fright uses scfm not cfm so all bets are off.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-06-2020 at 11:43 AM.

The bigger gun should work I calculate 9.65 CFM at 40 PSi for you compressor. 6.4 CFM at 60PSi. I think I run mine around 50 PSI.
    Bil lD

HF gun should work fine. I own several from when we were rehabbing stair rails. One for each color, including one for primer. Ran them off a DeVillbiss twin stack compressor. Each day, i questioned spending 15 minutes cleaning a gun that only cost $9.99. Time, plus paint thinner was more than a new gun costs. Woodcraft used to sell same gun (green, not purple.) They stocked different sized tips, FYI.