Thread: 14" Band saw: Laguna vs Jet

14" Band saw: Laguna vs Jet

I am hobby woodworker and I have decided that the next major tool purchase is going to be a band saw--it has gotten to the point where not having one is a pain. I have most of the other usual suspects-table saw, jointer, planer, etc.

I am looking at either the Laguna 14bx or the Jet 14SFX.

Looking at reviews for both, it is like most reviews on tools in this price point--some love them, some hate them. I have also scoured the internet looking at buying guides etc. Looking at the different wood workers I follow on Youtube, there seems to be an equal division between them and the other suspects.

The Laguna does have the ceramic guide, but not sure if those are important enough to be a deal maker/braker.

Not having owned a band saw, I am not seeing a clear winner between this two. Is this one of those choices that will come down to personal preference?
    Any advice or thoughts? Am I missing something or another brand?

The Laguna does have the ceramic guide, but not sure if those are important enough to be a deal maker/braker.
    not for me, and I have a Laguna bandsaw

Is this one of those choices that will come down to personal preference?
    most certainly

Am I missing something or another brand ?
    Lots praise for Rikon's saws, and I think they have one in that category.

Check out the Rikon 10-326.

I have no experience with either Jet or Rikon. I have owned a 14 BX for a few yrs now and am happy with the saw. Yes, I wish it was a 20” or so but the BX has been very good for my needs. Perhaps I am prejudiced towards BX’s as I also have a Kubota BX 2660 & BX 23.

I was in the market for a new 14" bandsaw about a year ago. After research, reviews and comparisons I went with the 10-326 Rikon. You might take a look at it, great saw.

I am happy with my Rikon 10-326, go it on sale 2 years ago.

I recently purchased the Laguna 14BX (220V version). I am very pleased with it and it was a big upgrade to my heavily modified Central Machinery (I.e. Harbor Freight) bandsaw.

Tom

I suggest watching a few video reviews of the Laguna and also the Rikon, to help inform you. Also read reviews on places such as Amazon and Woodcraft. This helped me a lot in my search for a bandsaw.

Todd,

First of all, I like your choice in coffee-makers. As to bandsaws, I had the same dilemma. Ultimately settled on the Jet. At the time (late 2018) it was a better deal than the Laguna and had a better resaw fence that came with the saw. Neither of these may be true in 2020. I have found the Jet to be excellent. Easy to use, easy to set up and adjust, easy to change blades. It cuts very well with a good blade, although the stock blade it came with was terrible. The large cast iron table is also a big plus -- as I recall it has more surface area than the Laguna. I really appreciate the large table as I use my bandsaw for a lot of things that others might use a table saw for (I do not yet have a very good table saw). Good luck with your decision.

--dan

Thank you all for the feedback.

I will take another look at the Rikon.

@Dan--there are other coffee makers?

I bought the 14bx 220V over the Jet. I like the brake on the Laguna. The saw came with a warped table but Laguna replaced it without hesitation.

I have the Laguna LT14 SUV ("souped-up version"). It is 220V, 3HP. It was my first 220V tool and I was so impressed with the bigger motor I upgraded the motor in my SawStop from 1.75 to 3hp. I bought the bandsaw about 5 years ago and have been very happy with it; upgraded to Carter guide bearings last year. I like the extra horsepower, 2" extra resaw capacity capacity, and slightly wider maximum blade width (1") compared to the BX14 (3/4"). Also the table height is slightly lower, which is good for me.

Saw this post in a search as I am considering the same options.
    Which did you choose and are you happy with it?

I just ordered the Laguna 18bx. It came down to machines that were available to me, and did not have an extra shipping charge. If I had access to the Rikon or Harvey saws, I most likely would have bought the Harvey. I think they are the better saw of all listed so far. I especially like the roller guides. Not sure if ceramic is a great idea or not.....

I can't say for sure about the specific 14" machines you are looking about but I do have experience with both Laguna and Jet bandsaws....in my case a 16" Laguna and an 18" JET. The Laguna was probably equivalent to the one you are looking at and the JET is a little bigger and has been improved a bit (2 revisions I think) from my purchase. I have had my JET for quite some time and have had very little issues, but I will say that I actually added Laguna's retrofit bandsaw ceramic guides on mine and it is a world of difference for resawing. And I would buy them again if I had to (or an equivalent). If you do plan on doing much resaw work be sure to get one of their resaw king blades or another carbide tipped brand. 100% worth it. I think I had mine sharpened once since I bought it and it slices through even the hardest material at least 2 times faster maybe more. Good luck.