Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Kitchen Table is Finished

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Very nice Ken. How many can you seat?

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Derek,

Thanks, it was built to seat four but can seat six in a pinch. With six no place mats or lefties and you would need to be good friends. After several years of looking at expandable tables I gave up on any being something I'd want to live with and use daily. I designed this one so if I really want an occasional larger table I can build a larger slab for that use and store it when not needed.

ken

Jack, John, George, and Jim,

Thanks. I'll have to live with it for awhile but I think it has hit my design goals and most important MsBubba likes it and for the most part hasn't found too many flaws and if they are there she will find them and give me the "eye".

ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    Beautiful table Ken,
    One thing that always annoys me is to have a table rock back and forth if I'm trying to cut into a particularly sinewy meal (not an uncommon occurrence with my own cooking).
    I don't think that would be a problem at all with that nice, solid base.

-Jeff
    Jeff,

Thanks.

Rocking will not happen, unless we decide to have a dance party on top . That is one of the reasons I added "Z" clips to go along with the pegs.

ken

Ken,

As with the other projects you have posted photos of, you have done a beautiful job. The table should be one to last for generations as was the woodworking goal described in "The Anarchists Tool Chest." Beware, and be sure to hide it when your kids come to visit....otherwise you may have to build another similar one!

Enjoy your trip to the PNW, you have earned it. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Ken,

As with the other projects you have posted photos of, you have done a beautiful job. The table should be one to last for generations as was the woodworking goal described in "The Anarchists Tool Chest." Beware, and be sure to hide it when your kids come to visit....otherwise you may have to build another similar one!

Enjoy your trip to the PNW, you have earned it. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    Stew,

Thank you,

The kids have been asking for a kitchen table build for awhile so I expect you are correct.

Our annual Oregon trip is happening early this year, I normally tolerate the desert heat well but for some reason it is kicking my butt this year. The easy escape is to head Northwest until you find cool air and I hope few forest fires.

ken

Well done Ken! Congrats on crossing the finish line. Always satisfying when we’ve reached a level of craftsmanship that the Mrs allows it to be the centerpiece of the room.

As a younger lad growing up in the Central Valley of CA, hundred degree temps never bothered me much. Now after putting on a good number of years and a few decades in Michigan, visiting back home in the summer is no fun. Enjoy the PNW. Beautiful, cooler country out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Mueller View Post
    Well done Ken! Congrats on crossing the finish line. Always satisfying when we’ve reached a level of craftsmanship that the Mrs allows it to be the centerpiece of the room.

As a younger lad growing up in the Central Valley of CA, hundred degree temps never bothered me much. Now after putting on a good number of years and a few decades in Michigan, visiting back home in the summer is no fun. Enjoy the PNW. Beautiful, cooler country out there.
    Phil,

Yep, MsBubba can be a tough audience to sell.

I'm an old desert rat and have spent most of my life in one desert or another and normally summer is no problem, it may be age but whatever this year it is kicking my butt. I'm not taking the portable workbench but I'm trying to figure out a way to take the shavehorse and carving tools.

ken

I enjoyed following your build Ken, and think that table looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    ... and I hope few forest fires. ...
    It's been lost behind the headline of COVID-19, protests, and looting, but when you read deeper into our news we're already burning. Several structure fires big enough to break into the back pages and several wildfires, smallish but arson in my area and 1200 acres with evacuations north of the SF Bay Area.

Enjoy your trip, but keep the news on.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I enjoyed following your build Ken, and think that table looks awesome. Thanks for sharing.
    Michael,

Thanks, I need to take more photos as the build progress but I forget.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    It's been lost behind the headline of COVID-19, protests, and looting, but when you read deeper into our news we're already burning. Several structure fires big enough to break into the back pages and several wildfires, smallish but arson in my area and 1200 acres with evacuations north of the SF Bay Area.

Enjoy your trip, but keep the news on.
    David,

Yeah, I've noted the fires around the Bay. We are headed farther North but...

This year we are going earlier than the last few years, I doubt it will make much difference because it seams to be luck as much as anything but the last four or so years the August/September fires have either run us out, changed our plans, or made us drive long ways around. I know small beans compared to the folks living in the path, I really feel for them.

ken