Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different shipping rates for the same size and weight product??

Different shipping rates for the same size and weight product??

Help me understand this:

You have a 10 inch Circular Saw Blade. One price for shipping is $9.99 . The other Saw Blade is $300.00 That Shipping price is $23.00 They are both the same size and weight. Only difference is the sticker price. If both are the same size and weight, then the shipping cost should be the same, but it is not.

Question:

Why the difference in the price to ship ???

Blog Entries
    Maybe the more expensive blade is shipped insured.

To my way of thinking there has to be something very special about a circular saw blade to be worth $300. Maybe they feel if you are not noticing the exorbitant cost of the blade you won't notice the higher cost of shipping it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Most all vendors use sale price to determine shipping. If they charged actual shipping based on weight nobody would be buying anything heavy by mail order. The cost of shipping would be higher than the cost of the item in many cases if they did.

Actually, the majority of vendors online are doing either flat rate for everything or actual cost for shipping if they don't offer free shipping. The vendors online who still do shipping by total value of the order are a decreasing number.

Also remember that shipping charges from vendors isn't just for the carrier...it's also for handling the order. Different vendors have different approaches to that when they are not offering "free" shipping (you're still paying for it... ) or flat rate shipping based on order value. Some vendors do use actual carrier costs and absorb/keep the handling cost in the price of the product.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Don’t concern yourself about whether the seller calls it price or S&H or tax or anything else. Just look at the bottom line: what it is going to take out of your pocket. However they do their bookkeeping is their problem. Your bottom line is all that counts for you. And if you’re cost-shopping, that bottom line is what matters. Everything else is smokescreen.

Quote Originally Posted by jamie buxton View Post
    don’t concern yourself about whether the seller calls it price or s&h or tax or anything else. Just look at the bottom line: What it is going to take out of your pocket. However they do their bookkeeping is their problem. Your bottom line is all that counts for you. And if you’re cost-shopping, that bottom line is what matters. Everything else is smokescreen.

exactly what he says ^^^^^^^^

Yea, Jamie is spot on...it's the final total that counts the most when comparing two sources. Their reputation is a consideration, too, however. I will not just choose a different supplier purely on price for many things when I'm happy with the relationship unless there is a significant cost difference.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

From Ebay, i buy items for Cuisinart food processors, and Kitchen Aid mixers. I find free shipping prices to be about a buck more than TOTAL price when I pay shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Don’t concern yourself about whether the seller calls it price or S&H or tax or anything else. Just look at the bottom line: what it is going to take out of your pocket. However they do their bookkeeping is their problem. Your bottom line is all that counts for you. And if you’re cost-shopping, that bottom line is what matters. Everything else is smokescreen.
    I'd agree on price or S&H, but tax is different. Whether the seller collects it or not, the buyer is responsible for sales/use tax. So beware sellers who give you a better total cost by failing to collect sales tax. If you get audited, you'll end up paying it.

I don't know about other states but in Illinois most call it sales tax,but it is actually titled as Retailers Occupation Tax, a tax on the business to be in business and sell a product.

Quote Originally Posted by John E. Hobart View Post
    I don't know about other states but in Illinois most call it sales tax,but it is actually titled as Retailers Occupation Tax, a tax on the business to be in business and sell a product.
    They call it that, but it is calculated the same as a sales tax and, if it is not paid, the buyer is required to pay the same amount in a use tax. Illinois State income tax returns include a line for declaring your use tax.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John E. Hobart View Post
    In Washington it is called Business and Occupation Tax, same thing as sales tax with a few variations.

Oregon does not have a tax on most retail sales. Technically if a person buys something in Oregon for use in Washington they are supposed to pay a tax on it.

A person who works in Washington but lives in Oregon told me she pays income tax on her Washington earnings.

My income comes from California but they can not tax me on my income since my residence is out of state. They used to be able to collect some taxes on rental income from a home owned there.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I won some money for being on Jeopardy, which is filmed in California. The check came with instructions for paying the California income tax assessed on the income.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Nuckles View Post
    I won some money for being on Jeopardy, which is filmed in California. The check came with instructions for paying the California income tax assessed on the income.
    My history on dates is off. At one time a person receiving a pension from the sate of California took it to court and won. Your win may have been before then.

A quick search turned this up on why my California income tax is not taxed:

Retirement income. In accordance with federal law, the State of California does not tax retirement income received by a California nonresident after December 31, 1995. This includes, but is not limited to: IRA distributions, SEPs, Keoghs, Roth IRAs, and qualified annuities.
    Income from a rental property was taxed as was money from the sale of that property.

jtk