Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The stench of decomp.

Former next door neighbor had a cat that was a prolific hunter. Rabbits, rats, birds she got them all. Wouldn't eat them; just dropped the prize on their deck. Noticed a smell each time I went out the door and found she had left me a prize. Cat later disappeared so I figured something got a hold of her.

Was fishing with a co worker in the Chesapeake bay. we were anchored and just enjoying the day bottom fishing a channel when a terrible odor started and slowly got worse. We climbed up on the front and looked around and then noticed something large bobbing in the water. it was drifting right towards us and the stench was awful. As it got closer, it was so ragged looking that it was hard to tell what it was. This thing was about 7 feet long and huge. The co worker pushed it away from the boat with an oar and it rolled over. Four long legs with hooves. A dead cow. The underside was covered with blue crabs. Co worker grabbed his net and started scooping up crabs. He must have got 3 dozen crabs off the thing. He finally let the thing drift on by and off into the distance. I didn't take any of the crabs, I thought they stank too,. A month later, we were starting a meeting at work and the over night news about a woman that fell off a boat in the bay and disappeared came up. His remark, is wow, the crabs are gonna be extra good this summer. I could not eat crabs for years after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Wilkins View Post
    Former next door neighbor had a cat that was a prolific hunter. Rabbits, rats, birds she got them all. Wouldn't eat them; just dropped the prize on their deck. Noticed a smell each time I went out the door and found she had left me a prize. Cat later disappeared so I figured something got a hold of her.
    Maybe the cat ended up on the deck of someone with a bigger cat.

When I was a kid we had a cat like that. Every morning there would be a sacrificial offering on the porch in front of the door. Plenty of rabbits, snakes, and such but what I remember most was a full-sized ring neck pheasant one morning. What a hunter. I kept expecting her to drag up a deer or a neighbor's dog but that didn't happen.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Our cat brings his kill in for us. Last week he brought in a large mouse. We were praising him and while going to get a glove to dispose of the mouse he picked it up and dropped it in his food dish and then he ate the whole thing.

Yesterday he brought in a small hare. It was taken from him before he could eat it. He wasn't real happy about that. Less than a half hour later he brought in a mouse and started to eat it before we could take it from him.

He is quite a cat. Candy thinks it is funny that he likes to go on walks with me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Our cat brings his kill in for us. Last week he brought in a large mouse. We were praising him and while going to get a glove to dispose of the mouse he picked it up and dropped it in his food dish and then he ate the whole thing.

Yesterday he brought in a small hare. It was taken from him before he could eat it. He wasn't real happy about that. Less than a half hour later he brought in a mouse and started to eat it before we could take it from him.

He is quite a cat. Candy thinks it is funny that he likes to go on walks with me.

jtk
    A friend said a cat that catches its own food is money in the bank.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Rollie Meyers View Post
    What does one use "PURE SKUNK ESSENCE" for? Only thing I can come up is evil deeds & have no desire to do that to someone. That would cause a lot of industrial English to be used by me if that accident were to occur to me & then more profanity while cleaning up. Yuck.
    Fox and Coyote Trapping. Skunk Essence really calls them in !!

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Hilbert Jr View Post
    Was fishing with a co worker in the Chesapeake bay. we were anchored and just enjoying the day bottom fishing a channel when a terrible odor started and slowly got worse. We climbed up on the front and looked around and then noticed something large bobbing in the water. it was drifting right towards us and the stench was awful. As it got closer, it was so ragged looking that it was hard to tell what it was. This thing was about 7 feet long and huge. The co worker pushed it away from the boat with an oar and it rolled over. Four long legs with hooves. A dead cow. The underside was covered with blue crabs. Co worker grabbed his net and started scooping up crabs. He must have got 3 dozen crabs off the thing. He finally let the thing drift on by and off into the distance. I didn't take any of the crabs, I thought they stank too,. A month later, we were starting a meeting at work and the over night news about a woman that fell off a boat in the bay and disappeared came up. His remark, is wow, the crabs are gonna be extra good this summer. I could not eat crabs for years after that.
    I've heard of using bull lips for crab bait, but never a whole cow