Thread: Cutting rounds by hand

Cutting rounds by hand

Hello all,
    I'm a total newb but some amazing wood just fell into my lap and I want to make good use of it. So what happened is my friends neighbor had a huge chestnut tree removed from his yard and they had 6 huge rounds they didn't want to keep(about 2 feet thick and 5 feet across) so I took them. they have been aging in a dry place to three months now and I plan on cutting them into thinner biscuits to make a bunch of tables out of them.
    My questions are
    1. how long until I can cut them. My research so far says at least a year, is that correct?
    2. how thin can I cut them before they become too weak to be good tables?
    3. How do I cut them? I cant find a place to rent a big enough chainsaw so I was thinking of making a jig similar to how you plank logs with a chainsaw but I would customize it for a two man crosscut saw and maybe a jig to somehow stand the rounds up vertically to make cutting easier. I'm a metal fabricator so I can make basically anything to make this work but if their are some trade secrets any of you know that can help I would really appreciate it.

Thank you all for your time.

The biscuits you propose to make are almost guaranteed to split as they dry. The splits will run from bark to pith. There's a great book by Bruce Hoadley on the physics of wood called Understanding Wood.

that could look cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    The biscuits you propose to make are almost guaranteed to split as they dry. The splits will run from bark to pith. There's a great book by Bruce Hoadley on the physics of wood called Understanding Wood.
    I had an idea if this happened. I was thinking of doing that resin filler that is so popular right now with all the wavy colors or filling it with molten aluminum.

In that case you are not going to be depending on the wood itself for strength, the resin will supply the strength. Getting a straight cut with a saw is going to hard. Mark as best you can, cut oversize and so something like a router slide to get it flat and true.
    Dan Carroll