Thread: Recommendations for a shop that can cut Formica or Wilsonart Laminate

Recommendations for a shop that can cut Formica or Wilsonart Laminate

It seems a lot of laser cutters I've reached out to do not have a lot of experience with laser cutting Formica or Wilsonart laminates. And I understand it can be a difficult material to work with. For years, I've had it waterjet cut successfully but that process has its cons.

Can anyone make a recommendation of a shop that could handle this? Ideally, with a capacity for full 4x8 sheets?

I'm located in Southern New Jersey but am open to having the cut parts shipped to me. Thanks in advance!

Hi Mike,
    Thought i would throw a quick reply as it is much warmer in my office
    than in the factory, I have been cutting formica on the laser recently,
    that is the very thin laminate stuff, it cuts fine with a loud screech and
    it does require a fair bit of cleaning especially on the edges.
    Epilog Helix 50W, Epilog Fusion 40 75W, Tekcel Router, Taylor Hobson Model D & K
    Dalgren 2516i, Epilog Fusion Pro 120W

My experience is that it burns rather than cutting.

Here is the msds: https://www.formica.com/en-us/-/medi...1ad74323c1b423
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I have a few pieces of phenolic kicking around- got a good size piece of 1/16" yellow/white Norplex that's at least 40 years old, I just put it in the 40w LS900 to see if I could cut it (all these years, I've never tried)
    nplx.jpg

It cut better than I thought, smooth with no melt, but as you can see the cut edge is coal black...

To get thru it, it took three passes at full power @ 7% speed, which is the setting I use to cut 1/8" thick Rowmark in TWO passes. It ALMOST got thru in two passes, but needed the third pass for thru n thru-

So, it does cut, but took 50% more time to cut thru 50% less thickness-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Many years ago I used to cut that stuff all the time. Not my business, but I worked for a company and they made kiosks. So we cut that all the time. We have a 100 & 150 watt china machines. It cut fine, but yes you had to clean the edges. Now that I have my own business I have not tried on a machine with lower wattage.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

Sorry for the delayed response - I had trouble logging onto the site for a few days.

It seems it definitely can be a tough material to cut! I've had some samples done over the years and have seen it cut very cleanly and others with a lot of soot and some burning on the face.

I think I've located a shop that has cut quite a bit of Formica and am waiting to hear back from them.

Thanks for the info everyone!

What grade Wilson arts are you wanting to do. Standard grade or Vertical

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    What grade Wilson arts are you wanting to do. Standard grade or Vertical
    I work with standard grade and typically use the Formica Infiniti super matte finishes in white.