Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Belt Sander Advice

1. Belt Sander Advice

hey all. i had a black and decker plastic bodied belt sander for a while, and the bearings are shot. thing was never quiet but now it's screaming in agony. so i need to replace it. what are your thoughts? what criteria should i be looking for? what is a reasonable noise level for these machines? The specific job at hand is refinishing kitchen cabinets, so i'll need to have some sort of dust collection (prolly attach to a shopvac). Any brands you like?

Bosch 3x21.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Erb View Post
    hey all. i had a black and decker plastic bodied belt sander for a while, and the bearings are shot. thing was never quiet but now it's screaming in agony. so i need to replace it. what are your thoughts? what criteria should i be looking for? what is a reasonable noise level for these machines? The specific job at hand is refinishing kitchen cabinets, so i'll need to have some sort of dust collection (prolly attach to a shopvac). Any brands you like?
    I like the Makita 9903 corded 3x21. You can’t go wrong with the Makita corded tools (that I have :^) IMO. But hooking it up to dust collection may require a trip to the plumbing section at the BORG, unlike with some of their other tools. You can always rig something up. I only use it outside, with a mask.

If you’re up to it, the Festool Rotex is an _excellent_ refinishing tool, better than any belt sander and probably twice as fast, and dust collection is top-notch.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 06-05-2020 at 4:14 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've had a Porter Cable 3x21 for over 20 years and it is still running strong.
    It works well so it's hard to justify buying a new one. Although, I would like one that has features such as easier ability to mount stationary and better dust collection. I haven't shopped any and I don't know what the other options are that solve these issues. Just offering what I know of mine.
    I did recently purchase the Ridgid stationary belt/edge sander and spindle sander. For me that solves a lot of what my portable belt sander doesn't have. I don't expect it to last 20 years but for what it offers and my expected use of it the Ridgid seems to be a good compromise with larger and more expensive sanding solutions.
    Note: I also have a cantilevered 22" drum sander that gets used much less than I expected.

Blog Entries
    The Makita 9924 takes a 3 x 24" or 4 x 24" belt and is just about indestructible. I've had one for about 35 years & it's seen some very hard use. They still sell the same model.

There's a big difference between the 21" & 24" belt sanders. A 24" sander is much easier to control. The shorter the belt, the easier it is to dig a hole with.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    The Makita 9924 takes a 3 x 24" or 4 x 24" belt and is just about indestructible. I've had one for about 35 years & it's seen some very hard use. They still sell the same model.

There's a big difference between the 21" & 24" belt sanders. A 24" sander is much easier to control. The shorter the belt, the easier it is to dig a hole with.
    There’s a certain finesse that is required for using a belt sander for “fine work”, which is why I like the smaller unit, because it’s lighter.

The Makitas are monstrously good belt sanders. “Hit me again, master!” They won’t break a sweat.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 06-05-2020 at 4:32 PM.

Blog Entries
    I have the PC 3x21, used it in production work for 10 years. Just pulled it out and used it yesterday. Still strong after 25 years. I bought the PC 4x24 thinking it would outperform the 3x21, it didn't, so I sold it with the business years ago.
    NOW you tell me...

I have a PC 4x24 that is a beast,it gets used for heavy stock removal and stripping hardwood floors etc. I also own a Makita 9924 and it is lighter weight but just as powerful,I like it far more for finesse type work like scribing cabinets to fit walls etc. The Makita is also easier to use for handheld use where a fine touch is required. If I had just one it would be the Makita.

A belt sander is the wrong tool for that job. Even if it were right, the dust collection is dismal compared to a geared rotary sander.

Festool's Rotex has been mentioned , and it's top of the heap. Bosch's version is 90-99% as good for half the money! Makita makes one too, but consensus is it's definitely the third wheel.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...5-5n-200697-p/

I still like the Porter Cable 4 inch wide sander. Used it on 30 doors I made for one job. And lots of other doors. Still have it. I consider the 3 inch as something just for narrow work. The 4 is heavy but for anyone not used to using a belt sander I think there will be
    less side to side rocking.

Making and refinishing are two different jobs.

12. wow fantastic advice, thank you all! yes making and finishing are two different jobs, i'll look into that kind of sander as well. I just returned from home depot, lowes, and tractor supply and i must say i've about lost hope for humanity. TS didn't have one belt sander, HD had two. Lowes had two on display but only one to actually sell. Are there any actual stores that sell real tools??

40 years on a Rockwell 3 x 21 that I bought used. Got hot hot many times and still only replaced the switch. Quality level is very high. Porter cable copy would be close but would not take the use or abuse this one had. Excellent US made tool. How i long for the good old days.

Are there any actual stores that sell real tools??
    Of course.

It would help to know where you are so that we can recommend places. No use telling you about a place you need to get on an airplane to visit. You can edit your profile to give your location either generally or specifically.

Yes, belt sanders have fallen out of favor these days. Even at real tool stores. They're going to show what sells, and belt sanders aren't hot ticket items. Makita just discontinued a 3x18 gem in my eyes. Was @100 bucks, light with plenty of power and decent dust collection if you could find an adapter. Rockler has a couple of Triton models, might be worth a look if near you. I'd say just get a used Porter Cable in good condition if you're really set on having a quality belt sander. Or, a used Bosch.

I have the Bosch 3x21. It's a nice tool. I just haven't used it in many years as there are very few situations where it's the right tool for me. I'd likely pull out my Rotex before the belt sander in most cases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...