Thread: Baby powerfeeder?

Baby powerfeeder?

So my neighbor gave me a Delta baby powerfeeder that he got basically for free. He has all Steff stuff in his shop and didn't really want it and knew he would never use it. The previous owner didn't realize the variable speed is also an pull switch for the power. I was looking at it and it looks to be kind of cheap. The base looks like it's aluminum or maybe pot metal. I have no clue how the variable speed works but I'm assuming it's probably a very basic set up so the slower the motor turns the less power it'll have.

I thought about mounting it on something but I don't know if it will be more work than it's worth. So does anyone have one? Does the power limit it to light duty on a router table? I have a router in my table saw but I rarely use it. I would love to have a stock feeder I could use on my table saw and shaper but I don't think this is going to cut it.

I have I mounted on my router table when I had about 400’ of 3/4 x3/4 cove mounding to run worked great.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I made a coopered cedar pipe 29" in dia. X ~20' long to use as an enclosed slide for a childrens' playground and a 6' in dia. "tank" that the slide/pipe was connected to. Was trying to mimic an old railway steam engine water station--
    anyway-I used one of these baby feeders to run the the 2x6 x 8' to 12' cedar and the 2x10 x 6' fir for the tank thru to bevel the edges for coopering. Had to move my TS to make room for the long boards but the bevels came out near perfect. The rollers kept the stock tight to the table and fence and the final glue-up was spot on. First time using a feeder and doing anything coopering like this. I was advised by the pros here on SMC to attach the feeder to the table with bolts so I reluctantly drilled and threaded holes in the top of my 2 y.o. SS and glad I did. Feeder was not hard to set up and used it again to dadoe grooves in 4x4 to hold ballisters for the railings on the water tower for the tank and slide. Haven't used it since. Mount it to a piece of ply and clamp it to your table for either the router of saw and give it a try. Variable speed control --just turn dial 'til you like the feed speed. Didn't notice difference in power and I was feeding some large stock for a 1/2hp feeder. I have the manual if you would like a copy let me know. Have fun with your freebie. John.

I don't mind drilling and taping holes. I was more concerned with it just not having enough power and it not being stiff enough. I'll give it a shot.

Chances are you will have to replace the rollers. I did mine and got the new ones from Amazon. No problem swapping
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Never actually used one but but I've seen a number in shops. Mostly on the smaller Delta/Weaver-type shapers. I assume they work well. As Steve said, you'll probably want fresh rollers (Western Roller).

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I have one of those little feeders. I use it mostly on a 3 hp saw to run rabbets. I also use it on a 5 hp 3 phase shaper. It does fine with small moldings. For running short moldings, like 6" long, the smaller distance between the wheels and slow speed is great. I also use it on a router table. I have other feeders that are bigger for stuff like raised panels. I wouldn't want to climb cut with it.

New wheels from Western Roller are a plus.

To set it up, put a 1/4" thick piece of wood on the work piece, and toe the wheels in 1/4" to the fence. This stabilizes everything while the ball joint adjustment is loose, and gets the feeder level with machine table.