Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a vehicle long-distance/online

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    I'm 20 minutes north of Fort Wayne. let me know if I can help you out.
    Thanks for the offer!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    My last two cars came from CarMax and the experience was good. I got an extended warranty on both and both paid for themselves. With the warranty, it’s really somebody else’s problem.

compare that to my last experience at a traditional dealership. My son-in-law was buying a car and I wanted to sit in something similar.i went to the local dealership and told a salesman my situation. He very kindly took me to a car and let me sit in it to see how comfortable it would be fo a tall person. As we walked back to the building, I thanked him and asked for his business card for my son-in-law. That’s when it got weird. He just didn’t know if it would be okay to give me a card. He had to talk to his manager. I sure didn’t expect such a reaction. All I wanted was his card! After two conferences with his manager, he decided that it would be ok to give me his card. I left thinking no way was I ever going back there!
    Car salesmen are very territorial. It’s considered a grave offense to even hint at taking somebody else’s sale. I suspect the manager conferences were about the ethics of this. I’d cut them some slack. BTDT, no judgement implied.

The reason I mentioned CPO is that the vehicle has been vetted a little more and "brand" also matters with that, IMHO. CPO combined with the clean CarFax, low miles, etc., is a good omen.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I would make the deal and have it shipped to me. You stated it met all your desires, clean Carfax, factory warranty, mileage, etc. Sometimes you have got to roll the dice. I have bought motorcycles, cars, a van, and a pickup off of ebay, Autotrader.com, etc. Had good luck on all so far. I have picked all of mine up in person and had to deal with the usual problems with a used vehicle. I would look into buying an extended warranty at your local BMW dealer so they have a small amount of skin in this vehicle when you do need warranty work done. Defintily need to talk off the board to Darcy about this dealer, etc.
    Good luck
    Ron

If you are expecting a manual transmission, well definitions get stretched. Have someone text you a picture of the pedals.

Blog Entries
    As we walked back to the building, I thanked him and asked for his business card for my son-in-law. That’s when it got weird. He just didn’t know if it would be okay to give me a card. He had to talk to his manager. I sure didn’t expect such a reaction. All I wanted was his card! After two conferences with his manager, he decided that it would be ok to give me his card. I left thinking no way was I ever going back there!
    My comments are along the same lines as Doug.

My question about a low mileage used car would be why was it back at the dealer?

Was the original buyer unhappy about something with the car or were they unable to make the payments?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My comments are along the same lines as Doug.

My question about a low mileage used car would be why was it back at the dealer?

Was the original buyer unhappy about something with the car or were they unable to make the payments?

jtk

back around 2006-8 took a work truck into local GMC-Cadillac dealer. Service dept had a corvette about 9 months old in there price tag around 120K (if memory is right) High performance version. Story was local Doctor bought for his wife, she got tired real quick of how harsh the ride was and traded it off for a Caddy. Service manager told us that it was 10k for brakes and same for tires about every 20k miles, don't know how true that all was. Guy with me was (Richard) real interested in Corvettes and said it was true. Richard wanted a Corvette real bad and could have written a check for a new one, just too tight to do so. Course that was how he came to have that kind of money was working two jobs all his life and not spending anything unless absolutely necessary.
    have a good friend who approaching his 40 yr HS reunion leased a Mercedes Sedan for two years so he could drive it there . He rarely drove it. His wife would drive it to work to keep from putting miles on her leased car a little Nissan. Turned it back in with less than 10k on odometer. He could have bought a Rolls Royce and not missed the money. However he started out poor, made it on his own all the way and was not spending money unless it made him money or to keep his wife of 40+ years happy.

So you just never know, however asking questions helps. Just don't get too paranoid and miss out on the vehicle/tool/whatever you want.
    Last edited by Ron Selzer; 06-06-2020 at 9:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

My question about a low mileage used car would be why was it back at the dealer?\
    Beemer. Short term lease which isn't unusual or low mileage lease which also isn't unusual sometimes...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I decided to go for it and sent a sizable hold yesterday afternoon. They are over nighting the paperwork including an “E” title. I should have more details & dates on Monday.

I talked with my financial advisor before sending the hold. He commented that this type car buying is becoming more & more common and he has seen very few problems, especially when dealing with an established car dealership.

The biggest unknown of course is the vehicle itself. It still has almost 2 years left on the OEM warranty so I feel pretty secure there - fingers crossed.

The next PITA will be selling my current car...

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Did you arrange delivery of the vehicle through the dealer?
    Just curious what the logistics are in this case.

Bought a new car from a dealer in November for my fiance. They were about 100 miles south of me and I asked them to deliver it. We signed papers at the table and i never had to leave my house. Best car deal I've done.

Nathan, the delivery cost was the only major stumbling block in the negotiating. They wanted to charge me $1700 for the "White Glove" 1200-mile trip. We settled on $750 which is more inline with what Carmax and others charge for approximately the same distance.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Nathan, the delivery cost was the only major stumbling block in the negotiating. They wanted to charge me $1700 for the "White Glove" 1200-mile trip. We settled on $750 which is more inline with what Carmax and others charge for approximately the same distance.
    IOW much more than the cost of a rental car and seeing this big beautiful country in its phase of brief isolation. You’re going to get to know the car one way or another.

Doug, I agree, there’s nothing like a good old-fashioned road trip. Unfortunately, there are circumstances that won’t allow it right now. Maybe next year.

Andy Rooney

Thanks for the reply.
    Enjoy your new vehicle.

The next PITA will be selling my current car...
    Sell it to one of those places like CarMax. They will examine your vehicle and give you a price that's good for a few days. If you agree, you bring it in and they write you a check. You might get more in a private sale but that's a problem these days.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.