Thread: Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)

Does anyone have a recommendation for an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) suitable for a Trotec Speedy 300?

It's currently wired for AC 115V 60Hz and should run on a 20A circuit.

I assume I need a good surge protector at a minimum but backup power would be nice in case a job is running and the power goes out.

I just bought my first laser so please excuse my newbie questions. I did try to search for an answer first and have been reading lots of old posts.

Many thanks!

Joe

Joe

I think you will be disappointed with a UPS for your laser. In my experience, they do not offer a long enough support period to complete a job. I have a couple of them for my pcs and printers and will not replace them when they wear out.

But, others may have more positive experiences.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

It's ironic that most/all of the 'western' machines have no type of backup capability whatsoever in case of a power interruption, but my dirt cheap 1390 Triumph will save any job in progress for any reason the job is interrupted. While it's engraving I can turn off the power switch, unplug it, create a no-water shutdown, doesn't matter, the power supply will stay on long enough to save the data at the point of interruption before shutting down totally. Once the power returns, the display shows a 'power interrupted' error, when you hit 'ok' to clear it, the machine will continue exactly where it left off. None of my 'good' machines will do this! I just make sure the job is saved 'as engraved' once I start engraving, so that at the least I can re-run the engraving. Two of my 'good' machines will engrave bottom up OR top-down, which helps with finishing a part done job, just start the job in the opposite direction, then start pausing when the 2 halves are getting close to meeting...

That all said, there is a way to fail-safe a power outage: run your machine using a GOOD 5000 watt 12 volt power inverter fed by a pair of GOOD wired-in-series 6 volt golf-cart batteries (or a pair of semi-truck 12v batteries), which are continually charged with a GOOD battery charger. If the power goes out, all that happens is the batteries stop charging... the machine will never know it and can run for hours just off battery power...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Figuring 20A @ 120V = 2.4kVA - -
    You can probably find something suitable here (link). Their 3kVA unit claims 6+ hrs at full load, but based on my experience, I'd not look for more than 3-4 hrs at max load. So if you need more time, you can start adding battery modules (if you order 6-slot enclosure, or larger).

They are not cheap - at least by the cost standards I generally see bandied about on SMC. You'll have to decide on your budget and potential 'job salvaging' savings.

My primary concern is surviving momentary power interruptions where the lights just blink off and then back on.

This happens in my area more frequently than I would like.

I have a UPS protecting my computer, modem, and router but it's not rated for 20 amps.

I live in the "boondocks" on rural electric feed. I had contemplated a UPS at one time.
    Researching didn't turn up much for a particular unit.
    I did add a line conditioning unit ahead of the laser to alleviate any sags or surges.
    That's been many moons ago---still using the laser.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils