Thread: Plumbing access panels for a bathroom

Plumbing access panels for a bathroom

In a residential bathroom remodel, I'd like to have many access panels over the wall where there is extensive plumbing. What's a good design for panels that are sturdy and easy to maintain? They would be on the wall behind the toilet and sink.

Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Old houses I've lived in that had them just framed out an opening as for a door, trimmed with moulding, and then screwed a flat panel in around the edges.

I thought about doing it when we rebuilt our current house, but after thought, concluded that for the once every 30 or 50 years I might need to access the plumbing it both looked way better and was much easier to cut a hole in the plaster and patch when done. Learning how to make good plaster/drywall repairs made my life as a sometime remodeler much easier. Even in houses that had them I've never actually used an access panel; problems could either be fixed from the outside or required a lot bigger hole than the access panel provided (eg for replacing 70 year old corroded galvanized piping).