Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Dovetails

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by matt romanowski View Post
    It's all practice. Make up a bunch of small boards and do a dovetail joint with just a few pins in it every day. You will be amazed at how much you improve in quality and time in only a week. If you do a full 30 days, you get really good.

I was happy after about 10 days
    This was my routine for a while. If my memory is correct my practice used up about 8' of 1X4 lumber. The joints were cut off about 1/2" from the joint, dated, numbered and tossed in a box after looking for ways to correct errors. This was done with scrap wood. A two foot length works well for this. My dovetails improved greatly.

Try making your dovetails both pins first and tails first. One approach may work better for you.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks again guys.
    I went and got some poplar to practice on. Cutting is definitely smoother vs the fir. I've got two joints cut on my practice box so far and they're better, but I went much slower. I also focused on my paring, I took very shallow chisel strokes and would do Just a bit and then test fit, so on so forth. I think once I glue up the small gaps will hide themselves.

Well gents, no pictures yet, but I finished the box frame (there's another name for this right) I had a little gap here or there on each. but overall I think they came out okay. I'm still going to finish and put in the house. I believe that having to see it daily will be a good reminder to be patient and work with care. Once again I appreciate the all the advice.