Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finally warm enough for some shop time!

Finally warm enough for some shop time!

Almost 60 here today. Can take pics on my porch without freezing both me and the camera! Finished up this little maple HF (Waterlox finish) and am now working on a Pear piece with blackwood finial. Doing small stuff that I can finish up before the deep freeze comes back.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow...what a pretty piece!! It looks ceramic from here....although, only mother nature coulda done that swirl though. The lip and the form are beautiful Carole!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

WOW Carole, that is a great piece, Great form and finish . How small is it? Can't wait to see the next one.

Very pretty, Carole. The form looks right on the money.

Just so happens that I just scored a small chunk of pear too. It's next up on the lathe, but I don't have a clue as to what's inside.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 08-06-2006 at 12:27 AM.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    ....BTW - The school marm look is nice, but sure miss that floppy-hatted flower girl. Which is the real you?

Hmmm I was thinking more along the lines of sophisticated and charming... Yeah.... Which is the real you?
    ~john

Very NICE Carole.!!!! Super finish on that piece. Looks almost too good to be true.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Nice HF, Carole. I can see a reflection of either a multipane window or porch in the finish. Did you let it cure and buff it?

Know what you mean about freezing. It got down below 50 last night here in beautiful Burbank!

I like the current look, if you are accepting a poll. Perhaps the "Our Miss Brooks" style glasses are reminding the really ancient crowd here of a school marm, but I don't think so. heh heh

Beautiful form, Carole...you're really pumping out some wonderful stuff!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's really pretty Carole. The wood is wonderful and the shape is great.

It's so strange to open this site one morning and find everyone is different. The quiet, thoughtful John Hart appears to be in Forrest Hills watching tennis, Andy Hoyt has a girl friend, and the bubbly, smiling Carole has been replaced by her evil librarian twin. I guess I'll get used to it. I've accepted that there are at least twelve people living inside Jim Becker: nose on the lens Jim, Chia Jim, DJ Jim, Jungle Jim, etc..

Dave

10. Yeah, Carole, how small is it? Regardless of size it is big on beauty. That is a keeper!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    ....It's so strange to open this site one morning and find everyone is different. The quiet, thoughtful John Hart appears to be in Forrest Hills watching tennis, Andy Hoyt has a girl friend, and the bubbly, smiling Carole has been replaced by her evil librarian twin. I guess I'll get used to it. I've accepted that there are at least twelve people living inside Jim Becker: nose on the lens Jim, Chia Jim, DJ Jim, Jungle Jim, etc..

Dave
    And then there is Big Mike. I laugh every time Mike!!!!
    ~john

Thanks guys.
    Gary, it's the porch you see. Guess if I am going to do anymore glossy stuff I better get off my butt and make a photo booth. The piece has 3 coats of Waterlox, cured and buffed. It was actually a little glossier before the buffing.

Keith, it's 3 3/4" x 3".

Andy, who's your buddy there? He looks like he likes to cuddle as much as my little girl, Raven, does. She is half Golden and half Black Lab.

For the curious: both pics are me, depending on my mood and what I happen to be doing at the time - "the Boss Lady" or "Party Girl". These days, I am more likely to be in the Party Girl mode, but I can't find that avatar since I fooled with the Santa hat.

Just lovely!!

That is one pretty HF Carole with a great finish. Very nice job.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Carole.....

That is a unique piece. I never knew so many shapes and sizes could be done on a lathe. You continue to inspire us "new" ones. Thanks for posting it and keep them coming.