Thread: The Tracker - Metal/Wood Detector - Who Made It - Do They Work?

The Tracker - Metal/Wood Detector - Who Made It - Do They Work?

I found this bargain at a garage sale/give-away. I installed a 9V battery. Nothing seems to happen.

Is it familiar to anyone?

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Images Attached Images

https://gavshop.co.uk/homenet-tracke...tor-4117-p.asp

Apparently it is a pipe, cable and joist detector
    Last edited by John Stankus; 05-30-2020 at 7:15 PM. Reason: Proving it was a mistake that I was on my high schools UIL spelling team in 1981

Thank you, John!

I will check out the link and see what more I can learn.

John

I read about the CH Hanson stud detector which depends only on rare earth magnets. I had some small 6 mm disks, so I cut about 15" of sewing thread and used a bit of Scotch Magic Mending tape (easy to clean off) to attach it to one end of the thread. I slowly lifted the thread and magnet up a wall 16" away from a corner, hoping to encounter a sheet-rock screw. The result is in the attached image. The magnet is hanging dead center at 16" from each edge of a 32" wide wall. I even know that I don't want to drive a hanger in exactly this spot, but a little up or down should work well.

This has to be the cheapest stud finder out there, bar none.

John
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by John Baum View Post
    I read about the CH Hanson stud detector which depends only on rare earth magnets. I had some small 6 mm disks, so I cut about 15" of sewing thread and used a bit of Scotch Magic Mending tape (easy to clean off) to attach it to one end of the thread. I slowly lifted the thread and magnet up a wall 16" away from a corner, hoping to encounter a sheet-rock screw. The result is in the attached image. The magnet is hanging dead center at 16" from each edge of a 32" wide wall. I even know that I don't want to drive a hanger in exactly this spot, but a little up or down should work well.

This has to be the cheapest stud finder out there, bar none.

John
    Assuming of course that the screw is actually in a stud. Then assuming that said screw is actually centered in the stud.

Some Refinements To My Simple Stud Finder To Improve Accuracy

Thanks, Mike, for your response.

I find that taking these added steps:

1) Checking up and down the path of the 'putative' stud improves the accuracy of the stud location.

2) Using the time-honored method of drilling a 1/16" hole 3/4" on either side of the magnetically found average distance lends further confidence that there is solid wood, i.e., a real stud, to which the sheet-rock is attached.

Thanks again,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Assuming of course that the screw is actually in a stud. Then assuming that said screw is actually centered in the stud.