Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Did You Spend Your Stimulus Money On

You don't see it much ,but if you look for early accounts of how NA tribes got along , you will read some some routine
    gruesome stuff. I'm glad I live here and I don't kill people.

By an odd coincidence, my 20-year-old washer failed hard about a week before the check showed up in the account. Given that the dryer was the same vintage, I replaced both, and the stimulus money almost exactly covered it. Couldn't have planned it better if I'd tried.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Hold it, they really gave people money?

Hope the 1200 bucks was worth it, going to cost my kids 100s of thousands to pay back in the long run.

Nothing more than a bone to throw, although it took the heat off some companies getting millions they didn't need.

Guys, please don’t turn this into another political trashing.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I don't think the federal government really has any way to to know the financial needs of every person in USA. Someone who made $100,000 last year may be jobless now. The point of the stimulus is to get money moving in the economy.
    No stimulus money for us because of the income limits (not a bad place to be). However, if we did receive any money, it would be donated to one of the U.S. military organizations we support every year.

Almost all of my expat friends in Germany, Italy, and the UK received their stimulus payments. Most received direct deposits into their bank accounts, but some received the paper checks mailed to their overseas addresses. I don't know what they did with the checks, since some banks here won't accept them. I doubt any of this money will make it back into the U.S. economy.

We donated $2400 to a local food bank.

We did not qualify, due to income, but had decided that "if" we got checks, would split the money up among folks like our barbers/wife's hair stylist, cleaning lady, etc., who have really been hit hard by this. Even though she hasn't been to the house since March, I'm still paying our cleaning lady like normal and we upped our donations to the charities we normally support. Do what you can for folks worse off than yourself.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Darcy Warner View Post
    Hold it, they really gave people money?

Hope the 1200 bucks was worth it, going to cost my kids 100s of thousands to pay back in the long run.

Nothing more than a bone to throw, although it took the heat off some companies getting millions they didn't need.
    A couple things here, none are political statements.

1) AGI under $198,000 (filing jointly) gets a payment ($400 sliding to $1200), so unless you're under $150,000/yr (jointly) you're not getting $1200
    1a) This means if you're getting nothing, you are roughly in less than 17% of the population, good for you.
    2) I paid way more in taxes on my last paycheck than the check I got, and ultimately it was mine in the first place.
    3) The absolute worst thing that could happen is we stop spending.
    Last edited by mike stenson; 06-05-2020 at 1:35 PM.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    $1200 in each of my sons special needs trusts.

One more where it's just going to pay this years taxes.

The market was way down so I invested it. So far I have made $110.00

Didn’t get one. Not a problem.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I put mine in savings, planning to buy a cheap-ish house in the next couple of years so everything helps.

Paid some taxes and donated some.

Use it to pay taxes