Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Did You Spend Your Stimulus Money On

All of our money is 'our money'. So like any other money it'll get used to pay for groceries, AA batteries, a longer hose for my sandblaster, dog treats, lawn watering timers, slime for the flat tires on my big power washer, scented wax cubes, gasoline, flowers for the wife, outdoor LED lights, lawn weed killer, bug killing service, hot tub chemicals, storage rent, business supplies, and let's not forget estimated taxes, which means it's essentially going right back where it came from
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I'm retired, and I wonder why I even got it, but I did
    Same here. We deposited it in our savings accounts. Some of the money was used to pay our son-in-law to do work around here. More may be used to pay another handyman to do some more work. Though doing it myself has been good exercise.

A few new & used tools have been purchased but that is normal for this time of year even without a government handout. We have our tax withholding set up to get a bit back from the fed. California withholds taxes on my pension and other disbursements without my consent. Though since we do not live in California we owe them no taxes so we also get that back every year.

When the tax refunds come in, the tool orders go out. Of course my wife also gets to spend her share.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Replacing some condo double pane windows that started to sweat inside big time. Right back into the economy.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas McCurnin View Post
    Ours arrived about 10 days ago. I'm retired, and I wonder why I even got it, but I did, and cheerfully cashed the check. It looks like its going to hiking gear, because since my retirement, I applied, was accepted, and went through basic training as a US Forest Service Ranger. So I needed a small tent, stove, and rescue beacon.
    I hired a local university student whose summer job evaporated. Seemed like as good a way as any to put money back into the economy - I benefit from the farm work and the money goes toward education. The farm and animal experience is also educational for someone in veterinarian school.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    So, a question. Those who had a bank account linked for tax return refund reasons got their money probably a month and a half ago. My brother got his deposited.
    Those that did not were supposed to get a check in June. Some I know have gotten a check within the last couple weeks.
    I on the other hand, along with a couple people I know got a debit card instead???? What the??
    Not real helpful.
    Don't know what to do with it. We were hoping for a check to deposit in savings to offset already paid bills.
    The debit card has so many strings attached apparently from what my wife read-
    You want to check your balance? - fee $0.25
    You want to know how much your starting with? - fee $0.25
    You want to buy anything? Fee every time.
    You want cash advance? Fee every time
    You want to deposit in bank account? First $1000 free, but you gotta fill out a form that neither my wife, nor the bank lady could find online- next partial deposit = fee
    Had the debit card 2 days and all we are finding is how they want to "fee" it all away.....
    What the hell is going on???
    I dunno how they decide who gets the card so they can steal it back, and who gets the check or direct deposit in full with no issues..........
    Just transfer the money from the Debit card account to your normal checking account and be done with it. One transaction. It's free. It only takes a few moments to do it. I know that from experience because that's exactly what I did. You do not need to keep the money in the account established for the Debit card.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don’t even know if I got mine yet.

And if I do it will only be a small amount based in my previous years income that was the highest in my life probably never to be repeated again.

But I still have a job so I’ll leave it at that.

Money gets spent faster than I can make. Ok not quite but, so I’m in no rush to spend it if I even get it.

We're using it to support our favorite local restaurants.

Blog Entries
    Ours was deposited in our bank account so no debit card. it sounds like we really dodged a bullet there.

We are on sort of a fixed income but feel very fortunate. The bride gets a pension from being a teacher in Kansas. I get a teeny pension from the time I worked for Knight Ridder. KR became McClatchy which is now bankrupt but my pension checks keep showing up. Whatever the two pensions don’t cover comes out of investments and this is no time to sell. So the government money went into our general fund and protected our investments.

I turned 65 last December and social security will kick in for me at 66. My wife just turned 65 and her ss will kick in at the end of next year. So, for us, it’s really a matter of getting through the next 18 months and not withdrawing any more than we must. Being on Medicare relieved us of a $17K/yr drain which was our biggest expense.

I don't know why they sent it to two well-off retired people rather than someone who needed it. We're donating it get better politicians into office.

No stimulus money in this household. My 25% pay cut and furlough didn't get me into the needy category yet. My wife doesn't work for money, salaried, hourly or gig, so also not eligible.

Peter,

Merca “land of milk and honey” Didn’t you know...

Well at least that’s what most wanna believe and snake oil bs most wanna believe..

Better than most alternatives but probably the biggest scam ever..

Yeah let’s found new world calling it our own and strategy the whole thing by stealing it. That alone should be all anyone ever had to know About the great Merca...

Oh no a heretic amongst us quick tell him if he done like it or thinks it’s better someplace else to leave. Rolleyeyes,,

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    I don't know why they sent it to two well-off retired people rather than someone who needed it. We're donating it get better politicians into office.
    I don't think the federal government really has any way to to know the financial needs of every person in USA. Someone who made $100,000 last year may be jobless now. The point of the stimulus is to get money moving in the economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Peter,

Merca “land of milk and honey” Didn’t you know...

Well at least that’s what most wanna believe and snake oil bs most wanna believe..

Better than most alternatives but probably the biggest scam ever..

Yeah let’s found new world calling it our own and strategy the whole thing by stealing it. That alone should be all anyone ever had to know About the great Merca...

Oh no a heretic amongst us quick tell him if he done like it or thinks it’s better someplace else to leave. Rolleyeyes,,
    Kind of funny coming from a textbook capitalist consumer...

Kid[2] just finished his ER residency, and managed to find an even lower paying fellowship. He may be the only Dr. I know that never gets rich. We're covering moving expenses, but at least he's headed back west.

What does capitalist consumerism have to do lie cheat steel murder Bureaucracy and corruption.

The two should not and or do not have be at the expense of honesty morality and not throwing anything that gets in your way under bus in the name of self preservation and getting what you believe in or want.

You know marching into the new world murdering the natives then turning the survivors into a welfare state all the while looking down on them as less than and burden we Mercans have to shoulder.

Pretty much the same way the white house got built. Lotsa pride to be had shaking my head. Vine in Fourth of July “ I’ll work through it intentionally” take the next day off.

But yeah I like to work hard and buy stuff. Doesn’t mean I do it at the expense of anyone or anything other than myself. And I sure wouldn’t do what we did to escape tyranny have religious freedoms then go do the same thing to anyone that got in my way in the so called “new world” sounds like a term a certain someone would come up with as a catch fraze to divert from the real issue and speak to the schmucks that respond to such messaging.

But your right it does seem to be the Mercan way and who knows maybe I’m like the rest and can’t smell my own poop.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-04-2020 at 8:14 PM.