Thread: Rust prevention for short term storage

Rust prevention for short term storage

I have a Laguna bandsaw that I will be using infrequently for the foreseeable future.
    I keep the cast iron table treated with T-9. But this doesn’t seem to do well in the Missouri heat and humidity.
    Is there something better to use for this purpose?
    Thanks.

I wonder if dupont chainsaver lube would work. It is wax and solvent in a spray can. Goes on wet like wd40. No silicone to cause problems. Paste wax is the classic.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    Spray on an extra heavy coat of T-9 and don't wipe it down. It will protect your saw. When you want to use the saw again, spray on more T-9 and wipe off the old and the new.

If the table is you main concern, a layer of cosmoline would do the trick. It works even on the slow boat from China.

Zep IronClad

When I've had things shipped to me from the manufacturer, it typically comes heavily oiled covered in plastic or a heavy wax paper. What about a (relatively) heavy coat of furniture wax and plastic wrap, wax, or parchment paper?

A dehumidifier would be nice. I use one on my boat and it removes gallons of water per day.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

You could warm the table with an incandescent bulb.

How about peel and stick plastic. Leave it in place when using the saw. Use package tape or vinyl flooring or anything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Spray on an extra heavy coat of T-9 and don't wipe it down. It will protect your saw. When you want to use the saw again, spray on more T-9 and wipe off the old and the new.
    I did this for Delta contractor saw stored for three years in a shed in Houston, Texas and there was zero rust when I got it back out. It was dusty but not rusty. Pretty amazing!

Lay a sheet of plastic on the table and hold that down so there is no air between the plastic and the cast iron. Currently I have 2 pieces of a trash bag held down with plywood cutoffs. Blade is still on. When I need to use it simply remove it. I do keep the table waxed.