Thread: Kudos to Lee Valley

Kudos to Lee Valley

We too often complain and gripe about things that bother us and I won't hesitate to let a company know when they or an employee screw up. However, I also think it's just as important to let companies know when an employee does things the way they should be done or the company itself. I got an ad a couple of days from Lee Valley with an article about building a bat house. As much as I'd like to build one the wife isn't having it but I was impressed by the article that touched on the importance of bats and the challenges bats are facing with white-nose syndrome. So from trying to help his employees continue working during the pandemic, offering his customers free shipping and probably not making much of a profit and also trying to better the environment I think Lee Valley is doing it the right way. They are the kind of company I want to see succeed and a place I'm happy to spend my hard earned dollars. So...Kudos to Lee Valley. Thank you!!!

PS I'm in no way associated with Lee Valley and haven't been a customer for that long. Clearly, I appreciate the way the owner, Rob I believe, runs his business.

My stories of satisfaction with Lee Valley are too numerous to mention or even remember today. They all have blended and settled into a comforting aura of loyalty to them from me. Positive brand experience!

I have always appreciated when a business aligns its profit-making strategy with doing good in the world –– either through indirect ways as you mention, Mike, or simply through direct customer care. Companies with this volition deserve our continued patronage.

Let's also not forget Lie-Nielsen, which staked its reputation on creating tools of exceptionally high quality for us guys in the mid market. We haven't heard much from them lately and their site looks a bit careworn. I certainly hope they are still able to thrive. Imagine our world without them.

Well said Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    We too often complain and gripe about things that bother us and I won't hesitate to let a company know when they or an employee screw up. However, I also think it's just as important to let companies know when an employee does things the way they should be done or the company itself. I got an ad a couple of days from Lee Valley with an article about building a bat house. As much as I'd like to build one the wife isn't having it but I was impressed by the article that touched on the importance of bats and the challenges bats are facing with white-nose syndrome. So from trying to help his employees continue working during the pandemic, offering his customers free shipping and probably not making much of a profit and also trying to better the environment I think Lee Valley is doing it the right way. They are the kind of company I want to see succeed and a place I'm happy to spend my hard earned dollars. So...Kudos to Lee Valley. Thank you!!!

PS I'm in no way associated with Lee Valley and haven't been a customer for that long. Clearly, I appreciate the way the owner, Rob I believe, runs his business.
    It gets better. The CEO makes no more than 10 times the lowest paid worker. See this article for more. (This has been posted here before.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    It gets better. The CEO makes no more than 10 times the lowest paid worker. See this article for more. (This has been posted here before.)
    Fred,
    That was a very interesting article. I definitely have more respect for Leonard and Rob and much admiration. What a difference it could make if more companies in the US cared like these folks do. Thank you for sharing.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    My stories of satisfaction with Lee Valley are too numerous to mention or even remember today. They all have blended and settled into a comforting aura of loyalty to them from me. Positive brand experience!

I have always appreciated when a business aligns its profit-making strategy with doing good in the world –– either through indirect ways as you mention, Mike, or simply through direct customer care. Companies with this volition deserve our continued patronage.

Let's also not forget Lie-Nielsen, which staked its reputation on creating tools of exceptionally high quality for us guys in the mid market. We haven't heard much from them lately and their site looks a bit careworn. I certainly hope they are still able to thrive. Imagine our world without them.
    I have many tools from each vendor. Beautiful stuff. I just ordered a block plane with their proprietary powdered metallurgy blade from Lee Valley. I’d like to say this is a gesture of support but truly I’m just crazy. This will be my 5th block plane (older clunky one from Lee Valley, 2 nicer ones from L-N, and boutique one from Bridge City that had issues out of the box that were fixed when I returned it. I later dropped it in its box, causing a fragile linkage to break, repaired again by maker for a nominal charge; it’s beautiful but in my opinion too fragile to use regularly). In partial excuse for this rampant acquisitiveness, I do love good hand tools but get by nicely with amateur-type tablesaw, jointer, drill press, and planer. Did my best furniture years ago with crappy hand plane and Skilsaw but I had the passion and energy.