Thread: Help Identifying Bandsaw

Help Identifying Bandsaw

Theres a local auction to me soon. online only. Can anyone idenify this band saw? the listing just says "old large bandsaw"
    24a-2.jpg24a-3.jpg

That looks like a grease cup on the upper bearing so it may not be ballbearings.
    Bil lD

That looks like a Moak. I have a direct drive 26" and it's been a great saw; 1100 lbs. The center of the upper wheel has the adjuster for the wheel's tilt (inner one adjusts, outer is a locking knob). The hexagonal column for the guide is 1.5 inches across. I have 14.5" to the bottom of the top wheel and 15.5 under the guides. I paid about $1/lb for mine. It has more refined guards so may be a later build, but the same body. Look them up at vintagemachinery.org.

Terry T.

Looks like it might have been used for metal cutting, rather than wood. Make sure the speeds will suit you.

Definitely a Moak, likely a 36”.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Definitely a Moak, likely a 36”.

thanks for the help guys. What value would you put on it in current condition assuming it runs

Moak made far more 36 than 26" models, but I'm still guessing 26; entirely based on the milk crate in first picture. As to value, you would need to look it over in person. Are the bearings good, good tires, runs smooth? Is it 26" or 36", and which size is right for you? Etc.

Is it single phase or three phase?

im assuming its 3 phase. but not sure i wont know until day of the auction

makes sense. thanks.

Might post the question regarding pricing on the OWWM forum. I’ve seen fully restored 36” ones go for as much as $5k.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Might post the question regarding pricing on the OWWM forum. I’ve seen fully restored 36” ones go for as much as $5k.
    OWWM rules prohibit offering opinions on value/price and they are pretty strict in enforcing that rule. Too bad, as the people there really know their stuff when it comes to old machines.

I saw a 36" Moak sell at a local furniture factory closing auction for about $400 or so, 6 years ago. I didn't have a way to move it or anywhere to put it if I brought it home, so I didn't bid. It may have had issues that I didn't notice, I didn't look it over carefully since I knew I didn't need it, but it appeared to have been in use.