Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Coffee thread

Adam, I've purchased my last two machines from Chris's Coffee in Albany. The first one was all manual and my current on is semi-auto. Those previous were typical mass market brands and they just didn't last very long. Yes, the better machines are a bit more investment, but they provide a more consistent product and can last for decades because the internals are really well made. The one I've been using for about five years now is a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-10-2020 at 9:36 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    we would like to get an espresso machine, any recommendations for a somewhat budget friendly model?

my normal morning joe is costco pinion coffee beans, burr grinder and drip. i have used aero press, antique hand crank burr grinder, french press regularly, when i was traveling for work and when i was home, had plenty of time.
    Without going too far off the deep end money wise, the Illy pod machines are surprisingly good: https://www.illy.com/en-us/shop/coff...red&cgid=57529

Not the least expensive cost per cup but fine for occasional use. I stopped using my Aeropress when the plastic went weird.

I've come to love the Jura superautomatics. I'm OK with grinding and tamping and knockout boxes and the whole ritual of a properly pulled espresso, but DW is, most definitely, not. The coffee, with a little futzing with settings, is quite good, albeit not as good as can be done manually. It is also much more consistent. I've put their machines in my last three office kitchens and they survive daily use by 20-30 people without making a disastrous mess. I buy the second hand, factory reconditioned models they offer direct on their web site. They come looking brand new and the warranty coverage is good. The simpler machines can be had for under $500. The brew group is pretty much the same in all of them, for 4x the money you get fancier milk frothers and larger capacity bean, water, and waste storage. You have to go way more expensive to get a two boiler model. I don't put milk in my coffee, so that makes the choice easy. We used to throw away a partial pot every day, no there is no waste. You get a fresh ground cup every time pushing one button. For the price of one Festool sander it brings a lot of happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Adam, I've purchased my last two machines from Chris's Coffee in Albany. The first one was all manual and my current on is semi-auto. Those previous were typical mass market brands and they just didn't last very long. Yes, the better machines are a bit more investment, but they provide a more consistent product and can last for decades because the internals are really well made. The one I've been using for about five years now is a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II.
    Hey, me too! I have the standard V-II. I use the Vario Forte grinder with it. It's been a pretty solid combination for about six years or thereabouts. I've had to adjust the boiler level probe a couple times, and the typical gasket replacement for the brew group, but no other problems. I went through a couple Jura super autos and another brand I don't recall first.

This is a pretty cool thread. I’m still listening in getting ideas.

I’ve found sweet Maria’s done the machine research years ago and like anything I get into I land smack dab in the middle of a very expensive obsession. I can’t remember the name of machine I narrowed it down to but it was “I think vintage” and if not manual “like you have to know what your doing or you cup will suck” and crazt expensive.

I get up front it cost money and saves you. I gave up $5-8 coffees years ago for black coffee to go so coffee doesn’t cost me much out. Actually more at home as I tend to spend $15-25 on a good bag that lasts me three days as I get here French press fulls out of a bag. Pretty bad right I like my coffee high test.

I’ll have to give the roasting a try at some point. I think at least coffee wise I’m a pour over guy. I love cowboy coffee and some grounds here and there to chew on.

I have become a beer snob since an international friend introduced me to a Scotch ale in Christchurch in 2008.

Coffee, on the other hand, I, like Bill Carey, is my primary mode of hydration. I prefer and drink nothing but Folgers at home. I drink a weak coffee made with 1/2 Folgers regular and 1/2 Folgers decaf. I buy the regular at Costco and the decaf at either Winco or Walmart.

When I am traveling, my thermos are normally filled by my wife while I pump gas. She fills 1/2 a thermos with regular brewed coffee and tops it off with hot water or decaf. I am obviously not a coffee snob.

That being said, I have instructed my loved ones when I die, if they choose to bury me, I want to be buried in jeans, a pocketed t-shirt, no socks, tennis shoes, with a pack of Marlboros in my pocket ( I quit smoking some 14 years ago), a book of matches, and a cup of Folgers in my hand.

With respect to coffee, I am in it for the volume and not for the quality. LOL!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....