Thread: Coarse diamond stone

Coarse diamond stone

I currently sharpen with Norton waterstones and get great results. I used grinder when necessary, 220 grit when necessary and then 1000-4000-8000-strop.

My flattening stone is worn out as well as my 220 grit. I'm wondering if a coarse diamond stone can work for both flattening the 1000 and up as well as removing material when I need to regrind or set a camber.

Any recommendations on brand and grit?

I have a Dia-flat diamond plate that works great to flatten stones.

I use an Atoma 400 for this purpose, and as an occasional "correction" when damaged blades need grinding. It does require cleaning.

I have a 120 or so grit diamond. It works well for rubbuung off metal but does leave deep scratches. I use my Atoma 400 to flatten my waterstones.

I use a coarse/extra coarse DMT diamond plate to flatten my stones. I've used it for over 10 years and it's not worn out yet. Bit on the expensive side, about $100 if I remember correctly.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

So the Atoma 140 is total overkill then?

I ordered an Atoma 400 and 1200. I want to try to replace my 1000g waterstone also. The 400 will have no issue flattening my 4000/8000 waterstones. Will report back when I get them next week.