Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Disappointing Festool interaction. No More ??

Car makers have to supply smog parts for eight years. Which pretty much means all engine parts and engine computers as well as valves hoses etc. My ex neighbor bought a engine fire Dae Wo after it had stopped selling in the USA. He was able to get the underhood wiring harness from 40 miles away from a Hyundai? dealer who had bought or been given the rights/responsibility to stock smog parts.
    The eight years may be a California thing but I thought it was federal.
    Bil lD

On edit: they have to repair any car so it meets epa rules for 8 years after manufacture. They do not have to make the parts but they have to replace anything, at their expense, that needs replacing. I suppose they could simply buy back any non compliant vehicle and destroy it instead.

Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-04-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    I'm moving to Mirka when I have to replacement mine.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I'm moving to Mirka when I have to replacement mine.

Why not just go direct and buy a Nilfisk ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    A repaired device doesn’t have to be sent back to Underwriters Laboratories to be recertified. Although John Deere might aggressively disagree! (Google “right to repair”.)

This reminds me of those old Star Trek episodes where the Enterprise would get hit by an alien ship and sparks would fly out of the consoles. You’d think nobody had ever thought of circuit breakers. Then again, that was the sixties, what was the future would have appeared to be magic and therefore implausible. ;^)
    You’re correct as long as you use the same parts that the device was certified with, or a recognized equivalent.

That’s going to difficult for a circuit board.....Rod

Wonder what happened to the OP here. He hasn’t been back since his post.

Just here to play with our emotions, maybe? Plant a bomb, then flee the scene?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Why not just go direct and buy a Nilfisk ?
    Maybe I will
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

During the 25 years I worked as an engineer for Chrysler Motors, the company was required to manufacture or bank parts for 10 years plus the year the model came out. I know because I worked in an automotive electronics manufacturing plant that made things like radios and power train controllers. The urban legend you are talking about was put out by the Federal Goverenment.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Actually, by law auto manufacturers are only required to stock parts for the duration of the warranty. The myth of 7 or 10 or 20 years is unfortunately just urban legend.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 06-06-2020 at 10:53 AM.