Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Time To Be Selling Tools?

Bad Time To Be Selling Tools?

I have some Festool and some larger machines that I want to sell, but I'm wondering if things are even selling right now? I don't want to start cleaning things up and getting them picture perfect unless I actually have a good chance at selling them, if you know what I mean. I take good care of my tools, so I don't need to sell them at a cut rate. What have you folks seen?

I think a lot of folks are at home right now, working on projects. We're also a hardwood supplier for hobbyists and we've been very busy, with a lot of people saying that. The thing to think about is how people feel about spending $100-200 on hardwood for a project, vs. $700-900+ on a machine.

Honestly though, this shouldn't matter to you regardless. It seems you like already have numbers in mind, so put them up for sale at that price, and if they sell, great. If not, just let them sit till the right buyer comes along.

My two cents is people are buying. EBay prices are high for the tools I look for. Quality and condition matter of course.

In my area, well-cared-for, desirable stuff like Unisaws and PM66s (which I happen to be in the market for) are gone in a day off CL. Sometimes hours.

Seems the opposite - people are at home and spending. Keep in mind that we saw a ~10% increase in unemployment (which is leading a lot of news), but a much larger group of people is suddenly working at home and bored.

Anecdotally, I sold a bike for a huge premium last week. Apparently lots of people wanting to be outside and bike stores sold out.

Yeah, i agree with everyone else, seems like a seller's market to me. One, i havent noticed nearly the same supply that i did a year or more ago. Two, reasonably priced stuff is selling in 24 hours.

Definitely a sellers market at the moment. I'm a beginner and have been building out my shop the past couple of months and have been looking to craigslist and ebay a lot. Things are moving incredibly quickly on craigslist if the pricing is reasonable.

Festools typically sell fine, and large pieces that have certain names. Anthony Spot sold is Martin T60C in about 2d advertising on here and the woodweb.

I'm looking to buy a couple WW machines, and there is precious little on the used market. I'm keeping my eyes open, but may have to go new. Should be a good time to sell.

No real issues and it's a good portion of how I feed my family. Used inventory is low and good machines sell quickly

Thanks for the replies. I'm a little more optimistic now.

Well, I can tell you I do not even look at tools for sale now.

Being in the danger age group, limiting interaction with others makes sense.

But younger guys might see things differently. Still, the number of interested parties will likely be less than it would have been in pre virus times.

It only takes one buyer per tool though.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Out of curiosity, where are you located and what are you selling?

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Atwell View Post
    Out of curiosity, where are you located and what are you selling?
    I'm in the Sacramento CA area. I'm thinking about selling some Festools and some larger machines...table saw, J/P, bandsaw, DC. Won't go into specifics here though.You can PM me if you like.

Blog Entries
    Tools seem to be selling here at SMC classifieds, we get asked daily to delete items that have sold.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute