Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen is tops in my book

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Adams View Post
    John and Ken, I believe you are thinking about Windsor Chairmakers in Lincolnville, next town up the road from Camden. Fun place and nice folks.

Kevin
    Kevin,

I expect you are correct. So it is still open. they made nice chairs at a fair price back then, is it still that way?

ken

There is an excellent YouTube video, titled "Titan visits Lie-Neilsen". About 30 minutes in duration, with a CNC machinist visiting/interviewing Tom Lie-Neilsen.

I have had excellent luck with LN and equal luck with LV. We are fortunate to have excellent suppliers/manufacturers of hand tools, today!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

I did the same thing (dropped block plane on concrete and bent adjustment shaft). I received the same treatment (complimentary repair for something clearly my fault). Aside from the quality of the tools, this is the reason I will be a LN customer for life.

Blog Entries
    LN has been a good vendor to me over the years. My inquiry about getting a replacement toe plate for my LN #62 must have landed on the wrong desk or someone new.

The plane does work well but at times my desire is to have a properly machined toe plate:

LN #62 Adjustable Mouth Plate.jpg

Maybe a call to see if how much it would cost for a replacement part would at least make the plane easier to sell in the future.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I am assuming the tenon saw from LN. Their product line does justice to the wood worker community. I wish they been more release frequently in the product line but looks like they have slowed down over the years for LN.
    Yes, LN. I wish they still made the crosscut version. I'd have ordered one of those too.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I wholeheartedly agree, this is a top notch company in all regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Yes, LN. I wish they still made the crosscut version. I'd have ordered one of those too.
    I would not be surprised if they would refile a rip saw to crosscut for a small fee if you asked them. They charge $25 to resharpen a dovetail saw so I expect the charge would be similar to that.

As long as you didn't ask them to change the teeth per inch.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

For those of us fortunate enough to live near one, let’s not forget about their free hand tool events. Unfortunately due to COVID-19, they probably won’t happen this year. I’m sure they sell a lot of tools as a result of these events, but the educational opportunities and the ability to connect with other members of the woodworking community are priceless.

I wanted a toothed blade for my
    5 1/2 York pitch, but it was no longer offered on the website. I called and actually got Tom Lie Nielsen’s daughter, who said she’d check the storage inventory and get back to me. 15 minutes later, I get a call saying it would be shipped express (at no extra charge) that day. Contrast that with the Festool customer service thread currently active in the general woodworking forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I would not be surprised if they would refile a rip saw to crosscut for a small fee if you asked them. They charge $25 to resharpen a dovetail saw so I expect the charge would be similar to that.

As long as you didn't ask them to change the teeth per inch.

Mike
    I asked if they'd make me a crosscut version and they politely declined. They suggested that I use a carcass saw (have one) or buy a panel saw. The reason I want the tenon saw is the height of the saw plate. When I am cross cutting smaller parts on my bench, the carcass saw handle has a tendency to hit the corner of the bench hook at the bottom of the cut. It was getting banged up a bit. I rounded it off but it's still close. Maybe I'll just make a set of shallower bench hooks. They'll hold a 6" stock width now.

I asked if they'd make me a crosscut version and they politely declined. They suggested that I use a carcass saw (have one) or buy a panel saw. The reason I want the tenon saw is the height of the saw plate. When I am cross cutting smaller parts on my bench, the carcass saw handle has a tendency to hit the corner of the bench hook at the bottom of the cut. It was getting banged up a bit. I rounded it off but it's still close. Maybe I'll just make a set of shallower bench hooks. They'll hold a 6" stock width now.
    Here are a couple of historic notes. Peter Nicholson (1812) describes seven saws. Of the seven only one was described as a crosscutting saw: the tenon saw (14-19 inches). And the Seaton Chest (1796) also has the tenon saw sharpened with fleam.

In addition, historic saws have their handles clear of the cutting line. Saws with a shallow depth of cut have the handle angle up and out of the way, so you would not have this problem of banging it up. Some saw makers today have the handle well below the tooth line, inviting trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    In addition, historic saws have their handles clear of the cutting line. Saws with a shallow depth of cut have the handle angle up and out of the way, so you would not have this problem of banging it up. Some saw makers today have the handle well below the tooth line, inviting trouble.
    On the LN Carcass Saw, it hangs a bit low. I think I can make adjustments to my bench hook to compensate.

carcass-saw-maple (1).jpg

Yeah, well the rest of the story, as PH used to say, is that if you walk into the showroom someone will walk out and greet you. They will politely ask if there is anything specific that they can help you with. If you have no specific need they will then politely smile and leave you alone. They have all the workbenches with assorted types of wood to work on and ALL the tools are there for you to sample. It...just...isn't...fair and you melt down the credit card. Granted with a smile on your face and a song in your heart but it just isn't fair.

Every time either organization goes above and beyond I'm compelled to order more of their products. Last night I ordered a Tenon Saw I've had my eye on for months. As long as I was there I grabbed a burnisher for my card scrapers and a set of jaws for my sharpening jig. It's diabolical. I think that's their master plan.
    And now the waiting game. LN is sold out of all backsaws. Looks like 3 weeks or so. I'll be fine.

When I drop a plane it usually lands on my foot.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    When I drop a plane it usually lands on my foot.
    When i dropped a chisel, my leg kindly sacrificed itself to save the edge from the cement floor... Then again, did not show or down much, just took a good slice and kept going.