Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lie-Nielsen is tops in my book

Lie-Nielsen is tops in my book

While working on a project this weekend, my Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2 managed to get pushed off the bench onto the concrete floor.

It actually seemed to fare well, until I noticed the brass jack screw (they call it a spinwheel) wouldn't work. The threaded portion was bent and the wheel had some serious wobble.

I emailed them this morning and inquired about the availability of a repair part. I was planning on buying one if I could. They emailed me later this morning to advise me they had already shipped a complementary replacement.

Wow

I think I'll order a saw when I get home. Good bunch those Mainers.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I've had very good experiences with Lie Nielsen, also. They're always ready to go above and beyond to support their products.

But let's not forget that Lee Valley also does an excellent job of supporting their products.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 06-02-2020 at 11:08 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Twice, I let one of my LN planes get damaged. Twice, I called LN. Twice is was told to send in for complimentary repairs. Twice they paid the return postage. Twice, they refuse payment.

These are not just nice or good people. They are absolutely the top!
    Additionally, they have an absolute fantastic line of products.

They have all of the "Thumbs Up" that I can give.

Ira in California
    Last edited by Ira Matheny; 06-02-2020 at 3:15 PM. Reason: mistake

They're top notch. My 60-1/2 had an issue where the blade adjuster nut was not engaging the the blade in order to back it out. Contacted them about and they asked me to send it to them. Seems like the stud the nut screws on was slightly bent downwards. They replaced it and had it back to me in around 10 days after they received it. They get a big Thumbs Up from me.

Indeed, great products, great support. Had similar.

I have great memories of visiting there in the mid 1980s and getting a personal tour by Tom Lie-Nielsen of their “beginnings.” It was a far cry from what they have now, a rustic farm building with a handful of employees - I only recall seeing 3-4. But, even then, it was all about quality and doing things by hand. As I recall, the “showroom” was a very small room. That stop was the highlight of our tour of Maine.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I have great memories of visiting there in the mid 1980s and getting a personal tour by Tom Lie-Nielsen of their “beginnings.” It was a far cry from what they have now, a rustic farm building with a handful of employees - I only recall seeing 3-4. But, even then, it was all about quality and doing things by hand. As I recall, the “showroom” was a very small room. That stop was the highlight of our tour of Maine.
    John,

Long ago, for several years, I spent a lot of time in the Rockland/Rockport area with nothing to do but roam around. My Copilot and I had a daily routine: Coffee and cookies on the Camden docks then a circuit that included Lie-Nielsen, the Maine Coon/German Shepherd cat and puppy farm for my puppy kisses, and the old hippy tool seller for a tool fix, and other things as the mood struck. We must have been there close to the same time, IIRC he only had one or two, maybe three tools on display.

ken

Ken, I also recall visiting a furniture maker that produced some phenomenal reproductions of period pieces, including outstanding Windsor chairs, which further whetted my need to someday build one. I don’t recall the name of the maker, though it was in a home setting out in the country. Seems like it was in the same vicinity as Lie-Nielsen.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Ken, I also recall visiting a furniture maker that produced some phenomenal reproductions of period pieces, including outstanding Windsor chairs, which further whetted my need to someday build one. I don’t recall the name of the maker, though it was in a home setting out in the country. Seems like it was in the same vicinity as Lie-Nielsen.

John,

Your memory is good, there was a furniture maker that as you said produced some wonderful reproductions, I can't remember his name but his work was very good and BTW, he was kinda young not much older than I was at the time. There was also a Windsor chair maker with very nice chairs but it was almost a factory set up, sales and display in a house and a workshop/barn behind. In fact my copilot brought one of his rockers as a wedding present for his soon to be wife.

ken

Go watch their inside the toolworks videos on their manufacturing processes and you'll feel good all over again:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNIc1mjQqlE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsGMOVtddlM&t=81s

Matt

Ken, I distinctly recall the Windsor showroom in the house and the barn/shop behind, so I think I may have combined the two places into one recollection. It was a packed trip with not much time at stops.

John and Ken, I believe you are thinking about Windsor Chairmakers in Lincolnville, next town up the road from Camden. Fun place and nice folks.

Kevin

I must admit the support that Lee Valley and LN is phenomenal

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    I must admit the support that Lee Valley and LN is phenomenal
    Every time either organization goes above and beyond I'm compelled to order more of their products. Last night I ordered a Tenon Saw I've had my eye on for months. As long as I was there I grabbed a burnisher for my card scrapers and a set of jaws for my sharpening jig. It's diabolical. I think that's their master plan.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Every time either organization goes above and beyond I'm compelled to order more of their products. Last night I ordered a Tenon Saw I've had my eye on for months. As long as I was there I grabbed a burnisher for my card scrapers and a set of jaws for my sharpening jig. It's diabolical. I think that's their master plan.
    I am assuming the tenon saw from LN. Their product line does justice to the wood worker community. I wish they been more release frequently in the product line but looks like they have slowed down over the years for LN.