Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ebay router planes prices??

After watching eBay for a while looking for router planes, I was astounded at the prices. I finally went to Lee Valley and purchased two router planes from them. I opted for the large and the medium since they can use the same blades.

I can understand that, I'm all for using old tools but when you can buy new for same price....

Sometimes you can get lucky though. I like to misspell in the search on ebay. You'd be surprised how often sellers do that. Or they leave something off like sellers a 42x has a 42. Just takes a while but I'm not a Facebook or Twitter person so i look on auction sites lol.

Yeah I've gotten lucky and I've gotten burned... my first number 8 was a okay price and it was a really good user my second was an okay price and still is not a good user years later. then I see people saying oh no I need to find very specific cutters they're hard to find okay if the price is about the same I might as well just buy a new one.. and with weave Ali it's a sure thing.

least if you can find it at a garage sale or flea market you can put your hands on it first won't really tell you how much of a user it is but at least you can hold it. Lately I haven't found a lot on eBay for tools

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    I can understand that, I'm all for using old tools but when you can buy new for same price....

Sometimes you can get lucky though. I like to misspell in the search on ebay. You'd be surprised how often sellers do that. Or they leave something off like sellers a 42x has a 42. Just takes a while but I'm not a Facebook or Twitter person so i look on auction sites lol.
    There are quite a few listings of planes by Stanely

Just took a stroll through the completed listings for > router plane < It is shocking what even incomplete router planes are fetching. There are a few down in the $50 area, not many.

Even an empty box received a hefty bid:

Router Planes & Empty Box.png

My Sargent #62 was less than $35 with shipping but that was at least 15 years ago.

In today's market it is very tempting to buy new.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

"greatcatalog" is the seller of two or these planes, Jim. He routinely has very good vintage stock at reasonable prices for their condition. Martin Donnelly, I think he's well known around here. He's the guy who held that online auction a few weeks ago. My post about it aged out of the Deals & Discounts forum, so I can't find it.

In any case, if you have a few weeks to lurk, you can find a fair price to pounce on at eBay.
    Last edited by Bob Jones 5443; 06-04-2020 at 1:46 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    "greatcatalog" is the seller of two or these planes, Jim. He routinely has very good vintage stock at reasonable prices for their condition. His actual name eludes me just now (senior moment), but he's the guy who held that online auction a few weeks ago. The post aged out of the Deals & Discounts forum, so I can't find it.

In any case, if you have a few weeks to lurk, you can find a fair price to pounce on at eBay.
    Greatcatalog is used by MJDonnely Tool Sales. My last purchase of a blade from them was rather unsatisfying. Clean and ready to use was deeply pitted and needing a few hours of work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Greatcatalog is used by MJDonnely Tool Sales. My last purchase of a blade from them was rather unsatisfying. Clean and ready to use was deeply pitted and needing a few hours of work.

jtk
    Thank you Jim for that info. I've thought there was a connection. It will help with future considerations on the eprey website.