Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ebay router planes prices??

Ebay router planes prices??

I bought my router plane a few years ago and I dont remember spending all that much but I have noticed that router planes are going for quite a bit. I keep an eye out, you never know and lucky me I got a Ohio tool 71 1/2 for 40 bucks! Well 50 with the shipping. It's an exact copy of the Stanley so I'm pretty happy. Nothing wrong with a 2nd plane right? Lol.

But seriously, was there something in a magazine at some point? I cant believe what these sell for.

Blog Entries
    It seems shocking what many tools are bringing on ebay.

Part of it is ebay is no longer the wide open free for all it used to be years ago. There were a lot of people who were making income by visiting as many yard sales and such as they could and selling items they knew very little about on ebay.

Now people like myself find it very difficult or costly to sell a few items once in a while on ebay. The system is set up to attract more higher volume dealers.

My brother is a high volume dealer on ebay. Through ebay he even gets a break on shipping.

Of course on the other hand when discussions on planes come up the router plane is almost always mentioned as one everyone should have for trimming tenons or making dados among other uses.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Although I prefer buying used stuff on Craigslist (face to face transaction) or the classified on this forum, I’ve been fortunate with the eBay purchases I have made. There’s a lot more available on eBay than Craigslist. I don’t shy away from bidding, but I try to find fairly priced Buy It Now items.

I haven’t yet sold anything on eBay. I, too, feel it’s geared toward volume sellers and, frankly, I don’t want to deal with potential scammers. I sold a bunch of books I had collected over the years on Amazon and it’s simply not worth the hassles for the limited generated revenue.

Unfortunately out here in west Texas I find very little in the way of hand tools. I have to order lumber too. If a local place does happen to have some old tools I think they look at ebay for their pricing. So everytime we go on vacation I drag my wife to various antique or pawn shops and usually bring back something.

I still check online but any purchases are few and far between.

I am in the same situation as is Blake for exactly the same reason, very few hand tools to be fournd in West Texas. I have bought a tiny number in our area, but it is very few.

I also do the checking on line because that is the only way to find the tools I want, not reasonable prices usually, so I watch a lot, and usually wait for a "reasonable" price to come along.

Stew

What drove the price on router planes was the technique of trimming tenons with them. The way I learned to tenon was saw to the line and trim with a chisel. The router works nicely though. You get a great looking machine made finish that hopefully no one will ever see, at least for a very long time.

I have recently learned about that technique. I'm using it now on a bedside table cabinet. Would've been great when I first started, those first tenons were ugly. Maybe it is popular for raw beginners?

I picked up my Stanley No 71 type 7 locally off CL last year. Actually, it was more in Stew's neck of the woods. Great old router plane with a deep rich patina and not a speck of rust. The only issue is a tight hairline crack in one of the knobs. At four score dollars I thought it was a bargain. I still look at them every day on eprey looking for cutters and hoping one day a nice old reasonably priced 71-1/2 will pop up. The prices are crazy most of the time.

PS Stew, I was thinking you were down around San Antonio which is where I picked up my No 71. You're a far piece north of that I see.
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 06-02-2020 at 10:36 PM.

eBay is an expensive place to sell things - there's the final fee (a percentage of your selling price), then the PayPal fee, and shipping costs - but they do give you exposure to a wide audience. For low priced items you just can't get much out of your sale.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

[QUOTE=Mike Manning;3026279]I picked up my Stanley No 71 type 7 locally off CL last year. I still look at them every day on eprey looking for cutters and hoping one day a nice old reasonably priced 71-1/2 will pop up. The prices are crazy most of the time.

Lee Valley sells cutters compatible with the No. 71 for $15 each right now, on sale. Oh, ouch I just checked again: the sale ended Sunday. Sorry. It was a promotion to introduce their new box for their router plane family and blades.

I picked up five narrow sizes (1/16, 3/32, 1/8, 3/16, and 1/4) the other day for $69 plus tax (no shipping). Today the set is back to $82 and the cutters are $18.50 each. Still a bargain and if you buy two at a time, still free shipping.

Blog Entries
    Lee Valley sells cutters compatible with the No. 71 for $15 each right now, on sale.
    You may need to flip the adjuster nut upside down. On my Sargent router a 1/4" wooden base was added. This negates the need to flip the adjuster.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Yeah, I had picked up a couple of their cutters in a 1/4" and the 1/2" V already. Wish I'd realized they were on sale as I recently placed another order for stuff from them. I sure would have added a couple of other cutters at that sale price. Like you said, the regular price was not bad. I think my order of epoxy is supposed to arrive today so I can get to fixing a couple of Stanley rosewood totes. Yippee!

What kind of epoxy do you use for rosewood?

Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    Any decent epoxy will glue rosewood.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blake M Williams View Post
    Blake, I wondered about that myself and in fact asked the question but failed to get an answer as I recall. I bought System Three Quick Cure 5 which just arrived about an hour ago. I'm glad to read Mike's comment saying any epoxy will do.

Mike