Thread: Tip to align tablesaw side table

Tip to align tablesaw side table

If this is mis-posted feel free to move.
    I am attaching the cast side wings to my tablesaw. Not to bad to install and get close to flat but at 60 pounds each a bear to get perfectly coplaner. They are actually ground properly so they are parallel, no shims needed. I came up with an idea on how to gently lift them a fraction at a time. A little more precise then a dead blow hammer.
    I cut a 2x4 about 1.5 inches short of the distance from the floor to the bottom of the table. One for each end. Then put a three foot long 2x4 flat across the top of the vertical 2x4 as a pry lever. Move then end of the lever a fraction and the table will move up a tiny fraction. I had thought of a house jack which I have used for setting sinks.
    Bil lD

Just did it tonite. I used a lever about four feet long. Moving the end down about 1-2 inches gave 5/1000 lift at the table. I got it within 1/1000 in under one minute. I left it about 1/1000 low on the extension side. I may try tomorrow to get it better but it moves a bit as I tighten the bolt.

The level is helpful for sure. But one can also clamp some known-straight boards to the top of the saw table to help with aligning the wings/side tables so there's a stable reference point while tightening the fasteners.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The level is helpful for sure. But one can also clamp some known-straight boards to the top of the saw table to help with aligning the wings/side tables so there's a stable reference point while tightening the fasteners.
    That’s what I do.

I just use something like a coin, or washer with sharp edges, and slide it back and forth over the joint. It will click if there is a high side. I do the front bolt first, the middle next, and then the other end. Cast iron wings flex more easily than one might think, so it's not that hard to get them aligned all across. I have at least one helper though, but it's a pretty fast job with two people.

Blog Entries
    I have a 36" long level that I use for drawing long lines as well as leveling. It hangs in my shop.