After thinking about it for years I got one for my 70th birthday!

I decided on the DJI Mavic Air 2. I've only flown it twice so I'm rank beginner. Maybe I'm easily impressed but I am impressed! The thing is an incredibly stable camera platform.

I've been concentrating on learning the basics to control the thing, takeoff and landing, forwards backwards and sideways, figure 8s - and without smashing the thing! While flying I shot a little video and stills for practice. I'm starting the get a handle on smooth acceleration and deceleration but it will take a long time to master smooth coordination on the multi-axis moves! I'm no stranger to flying aircraft but piloting through a phone screen is a whole different experience...

I put a few little pieces of video together from my second flight just for fun and made a VERY short test video. I did NOT shoot with the intention of telling a story, just some point-and-shoot with no "B" roll, so the story is horribly weak and kind of choppy! However, it was good practice with the video editor I'm learning, Adobe Premiere Elements.

Good clean fun!

Hey, you video and drone experts, go easy on me! I assume there are a bunch that hang out here. The photos and video were all with the defaults, I didn't even try the high resolution modes.

A couple of stills shots from our place. The camera is rock solid even in the wind, almost like it's on a tripod. The long shot shows the house and horse pasture from hundreds of feet up from where I'm controlling behind the barn, way down the hill on other side of the ridge.

DJI_0011.jpg DJI_0023.jpg

This promises to be fun!

JKJ