Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A project for June

A project for June

Boss wants a new Kitchen Island.

So..I went out today, and picked up 14 planks of 1 x 6 Ash.
    June Project, lumber supply 2.JPG
    The 3 longest ones are 5' long....we cut down 6 boards that were 9' long, plus a couple scraps he no longer needed...

he still has my old planer, so we surfaced both faces, until they were all 3/4" thick....
    June Project, lumber supply 1.JPG
    The two scraps were a bit shorter ( drawer fronts?)....all seemed to have decent grain, though...
    June Project, lumber supply details.JPG
    Sitting upstairs, to get used to the house....waiting on a design she likes....then I can start in....

Going to be a little different from doing small boxes....

Biggest sticking point so far....is working out what design she wants......as opposed to what I might design.....

Ok...we now have a plan she approves...

Standing 35-1/4" tall...23.5" wide....39-1/4" long. One drawer, and one door....

Not sure about casters under it, yet.
    Has two shelves in the left half...may be an adjustable shelf inside the door.
    Not sure about a towel bar/handle, yet

Instead of a wire mesh door panel, will make a raised panel door.
    Legs? Look to be 3/4" x 3"
    Will need two panels glued up, to enclose the door area. And two more for shelves. Handle end will get either a raised panel or a plain one.

Need to get started cutting and gluing up panels....and find 4 casters, in case she wants it to roll around. 2 fixed, 2 non-fixed.

About the only plywood will be the drawer bottom.

Waiting on Moose & Squirrel to deliver a paper plan......

Plan has arrived...
    June Project, The Plan.JPG
    Details..
    June Project, end view.JPG
    Details...
    June Project, front view.JPG
    Screen shot? Found an image she like....
    June Project, screen shot.JPG
    And wrote down the sizes needed...

Have lots of panels to make, now. Door will be a raised panel.....one of 3 such panels.....single drawer, 5" deep. Back of drawer opening will get a plain piece, like an apron.

A cut list has been started....first up was the top for this Island....4 planks hauled to the shop, crosscut to 40"...straight-line ripped to 5-7/8"....Came up just short of the 23" I was looking for...ripped a filler strip, and did a dry fit...
    June Project, Top dry fit.JPG
    Was also pre-setting clamps. Had a few spots that needed jointed...
    June Project, jointer planes.JPG
    We have ways....jack plane to knock down the worst of the high spots, No. 7c to joint the entire edge....Then the clamps, cauls, and glue showed up...
    June Project, Top glued up, good side.JPG
    And this is the "good" side, the other will be the underside
    June Project, top glued up, underside.JPG
    May need those two planes later....
    Shopping trip today....( yard sales were rained out )
    June Project, Casters.JPG
    1-1/4" swivel casters....4 for the price(Lowes) that TSC store wanted for a single such caster...not that I'm cheap....just FRUGAL...

Thunderstorm came through..and so did the "North Branch" of Dungeon Creek...
    June Project, Dungeon Creek, North Branch.JPG
    Guess things can wait a day.....stay tuned...

Hi Steven,

The drawings are pretty good, so Rocky must have done them with some slight assistance of Bullwinkle. I have doubts that Bullwinkle could draw that well, but you never know. At least the drawings showed up, so good news.
    Stew

Cut list...more of a general guide, than anything set in stone...
    June Project, cut list, 1st edition.JPG
    Case in point. List calls for the top to be 3/4" x 23-1/4" x 39".....glue up resulted in 3/4" x 24" x 40"....finished size is 3/4" x 21-5/8" x 38-5/8".....but, now I can measure from that, to get the rest of the parts to size

Yes, I made a BIG "V" across the panel to line things up for the glue up.....took the clamps off today..
    June Project, un-clamped.JPG
    None were in the right spot, maybe the bottom plank, and the narrow filler strip....at least the defects were all on the same side..
    June Project, defects.JPG
    Just the "good" side is now the underside.....trimmed for length...using the speed square/circular saw guide..
    June Project, ends trimmed.JPG
    ends are now squared off....reset the square onto the tablesaw...trimmed the long edges a bit....and square to the ends...then reset the tablesaw back into bench mode...
    June Project, jack plane work.JPG
    While a 80 grit beltsander flattened the underside, a jack plane was used on the "good" side....then a No.7c was put to work...
    June Project, No. 7c.JPG
    Before a #3 came along, and cleaned up a few trouble spots.

Was getting soaked ( clothes dryer wasn't helping things) tired and crampy.....decided I had had just enough fun for today. Had to take the Boss to the store, anyway.

Picked a couple things of screws, and a six of Guinness Blonde....
    Not sure IF I'll lay out for the bottom shelf this evening, or just sit and re-figure that cut list....Good thing F. Flintstone hadn't carved it in stone, yet...

Stay tuned..

Sitting here, picking dried glue off me fingers.....
    Had 4 planks IN the shop.....#4 had a huge,nasty knot just about dead centered.....I cut the offending thing out, and saved the two cut-offs for another, shorter shelf....which meant I need yet another plank, just to get 4 planks at ~ 36-1/2" long...without any nasty knots..still wound up with a smaller one...

Then straight-line rips, to get decent enough edges ( STRAIGHT!) for a glue-up of the bottom shelf....set a pair of large pipe clamps on top of the tablesaw(only spot in the shop large enough) and laid out the 4 planks, looking for the best match in the grain, and best face up....
    June Project, bottom shelf glue-up.JPG
    Some of the short cut-offs worked quite well as cauls, to flatten out the ends a bit...Added a 3rd pipe clamp right about center of the panel...
    June Project, bottom shelf, grain pattern.JPG
    And this is to be a shelf? I can build the rest of the Island up from here.....dados, notches, stopped dados...and trim around the bottom. May need a "Page 2" to the Paper Plan? We'll see how long before Moose & Squirrel arrive with that......will all depend on how this shelf gets trimmed up.

Stay tuned..

Back to drawing a "Page 2" for the plans....once I get this bottom shelf squared up, and ripped for width.....I can "pull" measurements from that, and figure the rest of the parts.....needs 2 web-frames made, needs 4 legs cut for width and length....And all locations of joints laid out....and maybe another panel glued up?

Then wait on Moose & Squirrel Delivery Service to deliver the paper Page 2.....

Well, that was an expensive day....round trip to Lima OH, to get a new beltsander ( $45!) to replace the cheapy that chose today for it's motor to lock up....trash canned it. First off, I needed to trim the ends of the panel...after the clamps and cauls were removed...
    June Project, square the nd.JPG
    Square a line across on the ends, wasn't taking all that much off...
    June Project, high-low spots.JPG
    Set up the saw guide...
    June Project, ends trimmed.JPG
    Distance between the edge of the saw blade to the edge of the saw's foot plate.....to where the cut will split the lines. Then just run the 6" SKIL saw along the guide.
    Then about 1/2" was ripped off along the worst of the 2 edges....panel is now done to size, and square....

Then the episode with the beltsander.....got back home, and used the 36 grit belts to buzz the bad spots down flat.....was getting close, but not quite there....drastic measures were called for...
    June Project, taking out the high spots.JPG
    Arms were too tired to shove the No.7c around....was a bit sticky down in the shop ( no shop fan, yet) so, this plane was drug out and put to work..
    June Project, Stanley No. 6.JPG
    Stanley No. 6, Type 9? Was made just before Stanley added those frog adjust bolts to their planes...also used the #3 on a couple stubborn spots....
    But, then again, this IS just the bottom shelf...right?
    June Project, Just a shelf, but flat.JPG
    Tomorrow, I start to draw up what sizes the rest of the parts need to be....have already laid out where 2 dados need to be

Stay tuned...

Thanks for sharing Steven. Looks like your well on your way.

This working from a photo ain't all that easy....too many details do NOT show up....Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is trying to figure a few things out enough that I can make a few parts.
    Spent about 2 hours this evening....hauling a plank or three to the shop...needed blanks for the four legs...3/4" x 2-1/2" x 32-3/4".....was supposed to be 2-7/8" width....rip cuts came out better at the 2-1/2" wavy edge syndrome..
    June Project, 4 legs.JPG
    The angled ends? well..according to the photo..
    June Project, bracket feet.JPG
    Needed to figure out how to lay the angle out.....Right angle trianle..base is 3/4", straight side is 2-1/16", angle side is 2-3/8".....
    Photo also showed they had doubled up at the feet, as well...so
    June Project, 4 bracket feet.JPG
    There were 4 bracket feet made to match...Idea is to glue the 2 parts together..
    June Project, one bracket installed.JPG
    So a caster can be attached...
    June Project, caster location.JPG
    Trick was to glue 4 legs up, so all 4 brackets were on the inside...
    June Project, 4 brackets done.JPG
    Part 2 of today's follies is coming right up ( did I mention I also had to change out a bad filler valve in the toilet's tank.....and help lay the last of the pavers....and weed-eater the yard..)

Stay tuned...

OK, Part 2...Before I lost the tablesaw to that glue-up pile....had other parts to rip and cross cut, and rip again...
    Bottom shelf gets a thickened edge...at 2-1/2" wide, since the rip fence was still set up...thickened edge?
    June Project, bottom shelf detail.JPG
    Right now, I am just doing the 2 ends...I also wanted a rebate...so
    June Project, 2 rebates.JPG
    Near as I can figure out, that rebate goes...here...
    June Project, rebate location.JPG
    The middle shelf ( need to glue that one up, yet.) get a thickened edge also, just not as thick..
    June Project, shelf detail, middle.JPG
    Reset the fence to 1-3/4" wide...and run a short piece of 1 x 6 ( wavy edge and all) through a few times...and cut off the big knot on the end of one ..
    June Project, mid shelf edges.JPG
    Trimmed one goes on the end, other 2 will be the sides.

Legs will sit in a notch in each corner of the bottom shelf...
    June Project, to be notched.JPG
    My back saw is still out at Chuck's....so, how to do such a notch....I used a "Vintage saw", of course..
    June Project, Sabre saw.JPG
    Even had a never been used blade for it...didn't take too long...
    June Project, notch made.JPG
    Bench IS getting a bit ...full..
    Maybe tomorrow, after I get my saws back from the sharpening service, I can clear the top of the tablesaw....have a bunch more parts to mill...
    Stay tuned..

Well, Road Trip to pick up a couple sharpened saws....didn't pan out...too many mower blades ahead of my two little saws...

But, BEFORE that trip....
    June Project, shelf notched, all corners.JPG
    All four notches were done.
    June Poject, legs, need cleaned up.JPG
    All four legs were out of the clamps...one was even cleaned up
    June Poject, mid shlf rebates.JPG
    Rebates were made, parts for ONE webframe was milled
    June Project, bottom aprons, need curve.JPG
    Ends and sides of the bottom shelf were resized, and rebated...still need to draw a curve, saw it, sand it smooth
    June Project, divider panel glued up.JPG
    Had enough pieces, a divider panel could get glued up.....it goes here
    June Poject, divider location.JPG
    Will sit in a dado in the bottom shelf, the middle shelf attaches to the divider, and the webframe as well. will add a bit of trim fro along the door.
    Need to start a few sub-assemblies, before too much longer....I'm running out of room...and Lumber...
    Been a long, HOT day.....will see what I can get done, tomorrow...

Stay tuned

Lumber run was made, today....needed to rough cut a couple to better fit in my van....then run all the planks through a Delta12" planer...S4S...load up about 14bft of Ash lumber, and pay the fellow $14...

Too dang hot out, today. I do NOT "do" heat very well, anyway.....once the boards were safely in my house....I took the rest of the day off.....may try again tomorrow, after I get a few other, more important tasks done....