Thread: how do you guys feel about the ridgid 6in jointer

how do you guys feel about the ridgid 6in jointer

Hey guys i am looking at a used 6in ridgid jointer on craigslist. What are your feelings/reviews on this tool? What would be a reasonable price to pay? This would be about the biggest size jointer i can fit in my small shop. Would this be a good buy or should i hold out for something better?

Picked up the used Jointer from craigslist and when i got it home i noticed the cutterhead and infeed table are not parallel. Is there a way i can adjust the head or infeed table? Is this going to affect the cut at all? Also what replacement blades do you suggest or are you using?
    jointer.jpg
    Last edited by Bret Ferris; 06-02-2020 at 7:07 PM. Reason: update purchased

I have one and it works well.

I have one and it seems great, but I'm not sure I'm the best judge. I bought mine new for ~$600. It makes things flat and square. I do wish I had an 8" jointer, but this works great for almost everything. If you got it for a few hundred and don't have a jointer, I'd say it's completely worth it.

I am not very experienced with jointers, but I bought mine used for $250 10 years ago, and it has done everything I needed. I like it.

Most 6" jointers are pretty much all the same wedge bed design. The Rigid one should be as good as any of them. The most important thing is if the bed is flat and not warped or twisted.Same for the fence. If these are good and the price is reasonable ,it should be a good addition for you.

Ditto. I have one, it's done what I want. I believe that the bed length is actually longer than most, but I could be wrong.
    I also got mine used, I think I paid 200 or so for it, unopened, in the box. Over 10 years ago. (Score!)

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Ferris View Post
    Hey guys i am looking at a used 6in ridgid jointer on craigslist. What are your feelings/reviews on this tool? What would be a reasonable price to pay? This would be about the biggest size jointer i can fit in my small shop. Would this be a good buy or should i hold out for something better?

Picked up the used Jointer from craigslist and when i got it home i noticed the cutterhead and infeed table are not parallel. Is there a way i can adjust the head or infeed table? Is this going to affect the cut at all? Also what replacement blades do you suggest or are you using?
    jointer.jpg
    Your wood won't care. It only bothers you.

I also have the Ridgid 6” jointer and while I have wanted something bigger, it has done everything that I need. If you have a larger planer, you can can joint larger pieces of lumber with a 6” planer platen.

Tom

Another satisfied user. Had mine for probably 10 years.
    It's called golf because all the other 4-letter words were taken

I just went to the HD website , and there is not a 6" Rigid jointer on there . Did they stop selling it ?

Blog Entries
    I bought one for $200 years ago, used it a ton and got good results, and then sold for $250 to buy an 8”. It was a good tool but the upgrade to 8” is very nice. That ran me $800 total
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Quote Originally Posted by james manutes View Post
    I just went to the HD website , and there is not a 6" Rigid jointer on there . Did they stop selling it ?

No it's still for sale https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-6...0610/202269174. The Ridgid planer ranks among one of the best buys in a few different wood working magazines in the 6" class. OP: As far as the offset of the in-feed table, you may be able to adjust that with the gib bolts.