Thread: Must be snake season

Must be snake season

I found this 5' black snake in the building housing sixty young chickens. The chicks are way too big for it to eat. It was probably looking for eggs but no luck there!

snake_black.jpg

I love snakes but I relocate big black snakes. A couple of years ago a big one got into the peacock house and twice scared the hens off a nest of about 30 eggs. That one was trying to eat an egg when I caught it but it was way too big to swallow. The eggs got cold and they all died.

That was such a disappointment I decided to buy incubators and hatch them myself. The birds are valuable - this year I sold those hatched last year for $100 each.

JKJ

Saw my first black snake today, while working on electric fence. He was just sunning, til he saw me. I had seen him several minutes earlier, so I knew he was there.

Speaking of Black Racers, and electric fences, we had one in the tackroom some years back. I grabbed it by the tail, and tossed it out. He landed on the hot wire, on top of the fence. As he crawled away, he was doing the Herky-Jerky slither.