Thread: Best rattle can outdoor spray paint for metal?

Best rattle can outdoor spray paint for metal?

Anyone have a strong preference, or should I just go with whatever the local BORG has on sale?

Refurbing a garden bench, one of those benches with decretive cast iron ends and back. The seat slats are wood, and the metal back is wrapped in wood. The owner purchased the bench at a flea market because it was "rustic" looking, i.e. old and worn. One of the slats finally gave up the ghost, so I was enlisted to take it apart and replace the wooden bits. The metal parts were not very rusted, they cleaned up nicely. I used white oak to make the replacement wood parts and purchased stainless steel fasteners to put it all back together. I primed the metal parts with Rust Doctor, they look good. Now I just need to topcoat the metal parts with a quality outdoor paint, preferably from an easy to use spray can.

I fixed a leaking fuel tank on the John Deere tractor. It wouldn't be seen after it went back in the tractor, and I didn't want to bother to get out the good spray equipment for it, so I bought some Krylon paint that Ace Hardware had in stock, in the JD green. I was completely impressed with the quality of the spray, and the paint has held up fine. Just don't get greedy, and try to cover in one coat. Multiple light coats are best.

That's my only experience with rattle can spray paint in a long time. It's MUCH better than it used to be.

I like Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel. It comes in a large silver spray can and has a good spray tip. Shaking the can well intermittently while spraying makes sure all the paint comes out of the can. I have used it for decades and it lasts surprisingly well. I usually prime first with their primer. I agree with Tom's multiple coat comment.

One weird part is the instructions say "recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours." That seems to be true and I get some bubbling on the paint if I don't follow that advice. So the project either goes very fast, or very slow!

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Roth View Post
    I like Rustoleum Professional High Performance Enamel. It comes in a large silver spray can and has a good spray tip. Shaking the can well intermittently while spraying makes sure all the paint comes out of the can. I have used it for decades and it lasts surprisingly well. I usually prime first with their primer. I agree with Tom's multiple coat comment.

One weird part is the instructions say "recoat within 1 hour or after 48 hours." That seems to be true and I get some bubbling on the paint if I don't follow that advice. So the project either goes very fast, or very slow!
    I use this paint a lot around the farm. It used to be called "Hard Hat" and then they changed the name to Industrial. I recall that it still has a rendition of a hard hat on the can though. It lays down really well.

I used Home Depot rustoleum about 18 years ago on the bike I ride around town. I stripped the old paint, used alcohol or some other degreaser, and primed (I used whatever primer Home Depot had, probably also rustoleum). The paint job is looking pretty rough now, but I think I can get a few more years out of it.

I went through my stash of rattle cans and found a can VanSickle Super Premium Tractor, Equipment & Industrial Enamel in satin black (472 70). Can't recall when or why I purchased it, but it may be a leftover from a hauling trailer I worked on a couple years ago. If this spray enamel is good enough for tractors and industrial equipment then it's good enough for a cast iron garden bench ends and back. The VanSickle Super Premium sprayed on very nicely and looks pretty good.