Thread: Exterior Paintable Caulk

Exterior Paintable Caulk

Anyone have a recommendation for Exterior Printable Caulk? I'm installing a new door and need to replace the brick molding around my garage door too. Thanks!

Brand specific, no...but the containers of the caulk need to be clearly marked as "paintable". I generally choose the higher quality products at whatever retailer I'm buying from and also try to get something that's close to the intended color for an even better blend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Brand specific, no...but the containers of the caulk need to be clearly marked as "paintable". I generally choose the higher quality products at whatever retailer I'm buying from and also try to get something that's close to the intended color for an even better blend.
    What brand is considered a high quality caulk?

The cheapest DAP stuff can last a long time in your situation. I just finished a job like that. It will last longer than I will.
    The brick has a bumpy gritty surface ,didn't trust myself with the polyurethane product. I wish the previous caulker
    had been more carefull.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 06-01-2020 at 9:43 AM.

Blog Entries
    I agree with the other posters. I suggest you go to Hone Depot or Lowes and see what their products are.

OSI Quad. Not for the inexperienced though.

Sounds good, I'll check them out.

Blog Entries
    A high end contractor friend of mine recommends DAP Dynaflex 230. Works for me. Available almost anywhere.
    NOW you tell me...

If brickmolding needs caulking next to brick, I use Lexel, and cut in a line on the clear caulking that doesn't go much past the molding. The clear is clear enough that you have to look close to see that caulking is there. It looks a lot better than some colored caulking smeared irregularly on the brick.

Geocell is a excellent top notch product. I use it hands down over the competition whenever I can.

https://www.geocelusa.com/product/23...lymer-sealant/

I am actually painting the exterior of my house right now And using the product Darcy mentioned. I can’t say long term how it holds up by comparison to Geocell as I don’t have experience. Geocell I an speak for ten plus years later on any many projects. It’s great. I used the OSI product as mid pandemic it was available and suitable for cellular pos to wood.

But as he mentioned most all of these product are not for the inexperienced and with many hours spent behind a caulk gun you can make a mess and ruin say masonry real quick. They clean up with paint thinner. Be prepared with a paint thinner rag and putty knife with sharp corners. If you fear getting it on something you don’t want it on that’s porous best come up with a way to not as your not getting it out of the pores..

Geocell is available in a bunch of colors to match metal roofing colors too. It will sag over time, if you need to use a big bead, because the outside cures faster than the inside, and it takes a long time for the inside to cure. As long as it's a normal sized bead, it's good stuff. I've used Big Stretch for some big beads, but those are not old enough (just a half dozen years, or so) to be a good judge of how long it lasts.

When putting up new wood next to other wood, I try to avoid having to use caulking, but always paint the ends of any boards at any joint. Even with today's good paints, the caulking will show differently after a decade, or so.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll check these out.

I’ve painted Lexel with good results. You can also get it in White. The trick to getting a smooth bead with it is to (wear gloves) and dampen your smoothing finger in mineral spirits prior to smoothing the bead. Different than Latex based caulks, but my experience is that it lasts longer and is more durable.

Ive used the Dap Dynaflex , Big Stretch as well as the cheaper Dap Alex Plus, which is trash for outdoor application in my opinion. You’re wasting time and money applying that outside and expected it to hold up, much less keep water out of critical areas.
    Still waters run deep.