Thread: New Door what to do with brick Molding

New Door what to do with brick Molding

I'm in need of a new entry door that already has siding around the brick molding. All the doors at the big box stores have the brick molding already attached and the width is shorter that what I have. Question is, can I get the brick molding off of the door without damaging the frame? I was planning on adding a screen door too to help keep the elements off of it. Rain has rotted it and I think a new door is needed. I'm also planning to use plastic brick molding so can I attach a screen door. No over hang at this door so I'd like more protection from the weather. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks!

Blog Entries
    Most brick moulding attaches to the door casing with some over lap. Removing it from a prehung door is possible, but you would likely make your opening smaller. Your installation could be different. Photos would be helpful.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Most brick moulding attaches to the door casing with some over lap. Removing it from a prehung door is possible, but you would likely make your opening smaller. Your installation could be different. Photos would be helpful.
    The house is sided and the measurement from one edge of the brick molding on the old door is 36-5/16" and the widest I've found has the brick molding 35-3/4". So i really don't want to re-side the house. I also wanted to use PVC (Plastic) brick molding on the new door.

Peter, you may want to visit with an independent yard and work out a door that's exactly the size you need to fit the opening that will result when you remove the old door and the existing brick-mold. Yes, it might cost a hair more, but since doors go in from the outside, you'll be left with a minimum of caulking. Alternatively, they may be able to provide a door sans brick mold so you can trim it out manually once it's in the opening and properly flush, etc. Off the shelf doors and windows don't always work for renovation when you are constrained by retaining things like existing siding. I'm dealing with that for some replacement windows on the 250 year old portion of our home and also had to custom order doors for it because they are, um...shorter...than normal.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You can remove the brickmold that comes on the door. We do it fairly frequently. It is likely on with only nails.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    I'm in need of a new entry door that already has siding around the brick molding. All the doors at the big box stores have the brick molding already attached and the width is shorter that what I have. Question is, can I get the brick molding off of the door without damaging the frame? I was planning on adding a screen door too to help keep the elements off of it. Rain has rotted it and I think a new door is needed. I'm also planning to use plastic brick molding so can I attach a screen door. No over hang at this door so I'd like more protection from the weather. Any help will be much appreciated, thanks!

Thanks for the information. We picked up a door yesterday and I was amazed how easy the brick molding came off. I'll set the door frame, make sure it closes ok then I'll add some PVC brick molding. Last one lasted 21 years so hopefully this one will too.