Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Desk from southern yellow pine

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A beautiful piece.

One of my dreams is of having SYP available on the west coast.

Doug fir may be a bit easier. My current project has me pounding out some 3" deep 1X2-1/2" mortises.

jtk
    Jim,
    It seems the grass is always greener... Not long ago, I was wishing I had some close grained fir to use for the desk. I find clear, straight grained fir here quite a bit more expensive and harder to find than SYP.
    I remember when I was in high school, we had an old barn on the our farm that was in too bad condition to save, but it had lots of fir and cotton wood beams. I never thought of cotton wood as being a "hard" wood, but I remember when I worked with some of those old beams they were like rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    William. I was a bit sneaky with those tenons on the breadboard. They are actually loose tenons. They are tight fitting and glued in the breadboard, and loose fitting in mortises in the ends of the top slab with just the 3 center ones glued in the slab. I was worried about movement as well.
    My inclination was to excuse that concern because of the perfect vertical grain, but what you did was pure genius. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wittrock View Post
    William. I was a bit sneaky with those tenons on the breadboard. They are actually loose tenons. They are tight fitting and glued in the breadboard, and loose fitting in mortises in the ends of the top slab with just the 3 center ones glued in the slab. I was worried about movement as well.
    That's clever.

Blog Entries
    Very,very nice! Great design and well executed- love the details!

That's really pretty. I've grown to like SYP, it's definitely plentiful here! How did you cut those square peg holes?