Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desk from southern yellow pine

Desk from southern yellow pine

My work has been busy lately since we are very short handed with many working from home, but been trying to still have some projects going on.

This is a simple desk I made form SYP construction lumber. Made mostly with hand tools, but I have been using my wooden bandsaw project to do more of the grunt work.
    I have something of a love/hate relationship with SYP. I love the low cost, availability, and sustainability, and when I find it with tight growth rings, it does have its own sort of beauty.

But I hate trying to cut clean mortises thought the layers of soft early wood and hard late wood. Its like pounding on a piece of hard rubber. Very sharp tools help of course.

20200531_181840.jpg 20200531_181959.jpg20200531_182202.jpg20200531_182242.jpg

Those exposed breadboard tenon look really nice 0 as does the rest of the piece.

Blog Entries
    Nice. Those exposed ends and square pegs are attractive details.

I do wonder about the seasonal variations in the top and those breadboard tenons. It does have lovely fit and finish.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Nice looking desk. The yellow pine works well with that style. Now you need a chair to match.

Jeff, beautiful job with yellow pine. Very nice workmanship.

Also, you wooden bandsaw in the background looks great. All I can say is wow.

Regards,

Stew

Very nicely done. Nice tight grain on the SYP.

The desk looks great!! Nice job.

How about some more pictures of that bandsaw!! And some information on that build. Looks super nice.

Jeff, You did fantastic job with the yellow pine. I really like the looks, and the wood will only get nicer in appearance with age.

I can sympathize on working with yellow pine. I made 2 tall standing planter boxes 32"w x 72" l and used pressure treated 4x4 legs with 3/4" through mortices for the stretchers. Going through the pith of the tree 8x with those mortices was not fun.

Outstanding work and a good look as well Jeff. Exposed through tenons, square pegs, shaped stretchers, etc. I ran across some recovered long leaf pine when I first started furniture building many years ago and have always like the look (as long as it is displayed in that kind of a setting). I then found out that the "soft pine" that the ww magazine writers talked about was not that pine.
    David

Blog Entries
    A beautiful piece.

One of my dreams is of having SYP available on the west coast.

But I hate trying to cut clean mortises thought the layers of soft early wood and hard late wood. Its like pounding on a piece of hard rubber. Very sharp tools help of course.
    Doug fir may be a bit easier. My current project has me pounding out some 3" deep 1X2-1/2" mortises.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That looks great, I have been toying with building myself a new desk for my home office. The plastic folding table is out of place in an otherwise nice office.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A beautiful piece.

One of my dreams is of having SYP available on the west coast.

Doug fir may be a bit easier. My current project has me pounding out some 3" deep 1X2-1/2" mortises.

jtk
    They are both pretty miserable. If Douglas Fir is easier, it is only because the early wood might be closer in hardness to the late wood. And that late wood can be like cement.

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    I do wonder about the seasonal variations in the top and those breadboard tenons. It does have lovely fit and finish.
    William. I was a bit sneaky with those tenons on the breadboard. They are actually loose tenons. They are tight fitting and glued in the breadboard, and loose fitting in mortises in the ends of the top slab with just the 3 center ones glued in the slab. I was worried about movement as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    The desk looks great!! Nice job.

How about some more pictures of that bandsaw!! And some information on that build. Looks super nice.
    Tony,
    The bandsaw is a project I started January of last year and finally finished in last fall.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....andsaw-project

I originally built it mostly with the idea of using it to help with re-sawing SYP, but I have been using it for quite a few other things lately. It actually works better than I ever expected.