Thread: Stanley #78 and other parts

Blog Entries

Stanley #78 and other parts

I have a Stanley #78 that I inherited that I have never used. What does one do with this plane?

Second question, do the various cutters and small bar go with this plane or are they part of another tool?
    IMG_4451.jpg
    If the cutters go with the #78 how do they mount?

If the cutters don't go with the #78 can someone post a photo of the correct tool so I know what I am looking for in my father's shop?
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-18-2020 at 12:20 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Lee, I believe that is a #78 and not 73, and the cutters look like they go with a #45.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

The irons go to an early model Stanley 45 before the depth adjuster. Notice there is no notch in the side of the iron

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Lee, I believe that is a #78 and not 73, and the cutters look like they go with a #45.
    Yes, you are correct, I couldn't read my own hand writing....
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Rebates are one good job for a #78
    Saw Til Project, rebate for the top.JPG
    Saw Til Project, Wards 78.JPG
    That long "fence" like item in your picture....is called a beading stop. Used on the Stanley 45, when beading a T&G joint....it rides on the tongue, while you mill the bead.

Blog Entries
    The box of blades will likely work in a #45, though they look to be shorter than the #45 blades. They may be blades for a Stanley #50:

Old Plow Fence Trick.jpg

This image shows the plane with the fence turned around to extend its reach.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    The #78 is missing a rod and fence. It is a rabbet/rebate plane.

This post > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?251419 < has another image of the #50 with two other Stanley planes you may want to look for in your father's shop.

Look for > stanley 78 < on ebay to see images of the rod and fence to help you find those parts if they are there.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Not for a #50....early model #45, before the depth adjuster, did not have notches in the cutters.

The 78 in the OP's picture is missing the depth stop, and looks like the rod and fence is missing as well. It does have it's one and only iron. Looks to have it nicker in place.

You can move the iron to the front slot, for use as a bullnose plane....

#78s are kind of handy for cleaning up rabbets or making them a shade deeper if too shallow. I have my great-grandfather's Sweetheart #78. It and the router plane probably get the most use of my specialty (i.e. non-bench/block) planes. Typically they come out to adjust things that I have machined but weren't quite exactly right, and I don't want to put the dado head back on the table saw, set the fence, etc. I think the official name for the #78 is "Moving Fillister". The nicker is good to have for cross grain. Keeping it sharp is important. The fence and depth stop are useful but not critical. I probably use then about half the time I use the plane.

They are useful enough to modern woodworking, that Stanley still sells them. I think I have seen them at Menards. Obviously not the same quality as yesteryear, but impressive that people still find them valuable. Probably the biggest knock on them is that they are a bit on the fragile side. I doubt they would survive a trip off the bench and on to a concrete floor.

Blog Entries

Stanley #78 update

Just an update. I wasn't able to find the fence parts in the old shop. I searched the big auction site and came up with a few. A classifieds ad placed here at SMC resulted in and private message from Rob Luter who pointed me toward Doug Weiner as a possible source. Long story made short. Doug was very gracious in sharing some parts he had duplicates of with me. They parts arrived today, but other jobs took priority over actually trying them out. Thanks to both Rob and Doug for your assistance.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!