Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My "Bucket List" project is complete!

Absolutely exquisite John. Now, if your wife is anything like mine, she'll take one look at it and say, "That's fantastic. Now when can you finish the matching 5 to complete the set?"
    Dave

Nothing is idiot-proof for a sufficiently ingenious idiot!

Thanks, again, for taking time to comment! Maylon, you are right! I built the walnut and curly maple hutch/secretary in 2008 using a set of antique legs. The following year, I built a coordinating occasional table and needed to turn a faceted set of legs to mimic the antique ones. That was my first turning project!

Dave, I am getting off a little lucky with my wife. Instead of a set of six, she has informed me that each of our five kids would want one when we depart this world. So, only four more to go!

Left click my name for homepage link.

Absolutely beautiful John. But then again I should expect nothing less. That piece belongs in a museum but I'm sure will be treasured for generations to come.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

John, I know how much you enjoyed this project! Especially the challenge of learning new woodworking techniques and the fun of acquiring new tools! Your focus to take things one stage at a time has created a beautiful chair. Congrats!! The photos prove that it was well worth the effort! Have you thought about displaying this in your gallery? Folks would love it! Have fun on the next build!!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

That's very impressive and a beautiful finished work of art.

As more of a flat wood hobbyist, than a turner currently, chairs like this are my greatest project challenge, to the point where I haven't got brave enough to try and build one.

So please accept my deepest admiration for such an accomplishment.

Got plans for 5 more?

Peter, Steve and Chris, thanks for the kind words and for taking the time to comment.

The chair is very nice, prolly beyond my ability at this point in my life, and at my age,69 , unattainable. I am also admiring the views of what I assume to be your home. Very nice

Thanks, Jared! Don't discount your abilities. I am 71, still learning, and plan to do more of these.

That's really nice John! What an incredible first chair! Did you document the build? I'd love to learn more about the tools used and which you liked/disliked. I'm planning to pick up an inshave and travisher at some point hopefully sooner than later.

Also, sweet hammer beam in the background!

Jeff

Outstanding! All the attention to detail and the intricate finish. Inspiring!

David, thanks for the comments!

Jeff, I appreciate your kind words and your interest in the process. I did take a few "in process" pics, though not enough to piece together the whole build. I would be happy to share information with you on tools, etc. if you want to email me. That would be much easier and wouldn't clutter up this thread, which probably has run its course anyway. My email is john@johnkeeton.com.

Amazing John. Beautiful craftsmanship. I had no idea that milk paint could be used like that.

John,
    This is a fine example of the true craftsman you’ve consistently proven you are! Thanks for sharing this project with us. Seems like this is only your maiden voyage is a comb back Windsor, I can’t imagine how much better the next few will be!
    Very, very well done my friend.

Thanks, Dan! There is a “process” for the finish that is used by Curtis Buchanan and somewhat modified by Pete Galbert in his blog entry - “bullet proof finish.” I took parts from both, but used the wipe on poly as a final finish. Curtis and Pete both use oil as I recall. The milk paint Pete uses and I used is Real Milk paint. It will not burnish to a sheen like Old Fashion Milk Paint, but the WOP resolves that issue.

Roland, good to hear from you and thanks!! I have all the oak parts roughed out for the second one and I hope to refine my skills on this one!