Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My "Bucket List" project is complete!

My "Bucket List" project is complete!

I posted this in the project forum, but since it has a significant amount of turning involved, I thought I would post it here for those that may not venture to the project forum.

For nearly 50 years I have wanted to build a comb back Windsor chair, but the time, money and skill level never came together until recent years. I retired 6 years ago, so I have the time. The good Lord has been good to us, so the funds are available for all the necessary tools and materials.

So, over the past few months I bought several new tools, some specific to chair building. I built the various forms, jigs and kiln and acquired plans and DVDs from Curtis Buchanan. My plans were to turn all the legs, stretchers and supports, rive out the oak parts, rough them out, and complete the build in a class at John C. Campbell to be taught last week by Brian Cunfer. The class was for a loop back, but Brian graciously agreed to assist me with the comb back since I would have much of the work done. But, with the Covid pandemic the April woodturning class I was to teach at JCC was cancelled and it became evident that the May chair class was going to be cancelled as well.

So, I was on my own, but decided to give it a go since by mid April all the individual parts had been completed. There were moments, but things went fairly well. Curtis' plans and the videos were absolutely essential in absence of hands on instruction. Turnings are hard maple, seat is poplar and all other parts are white oak. Finish is a variant of the black on red done by Curtis and Pete Galbert. Learning the nuances of milk paint may have been one of the biggest challenges in this build!

A little over a decade ago I was posting my flat work builds on SMC, then I got into turning and with few exceptions that was the end of flat work. I have enjoyed this chair project so much, that I fear it may now compete with my turning! There will definitely be another one this coming winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.

Wow, that's just stunning. So many techniques to learn and get right. Congratulations!

Really a beautiful piece! That will certainly be a family heirloom! And I love the color and the gloss - really sets it off. What topcoat did you use?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

Thanks, guys! Frederick, the final coat of milk paint is burnished with a sanding pad and then three coats of satin Minwax Wipe On Poly. Galbert adds a coat of shellac on the black prior to a top coat, but he uses an oil to finish. I did not add the shellac at the end as I felt the poly would do fine without the shellac.

6. Congratulations on some exquisite woodworking, counsellor! Nice to see your work again!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Thanks, guys! Frederick, the final coat of milk paint is burnished with a sanding pad and then three coats of satin Minwax Wipe On Poly. Galbert adds a coat of shellac on the black prior to a top coat, but he uses an oil to finish. I did not add the shellac at the end as I felt the poly would do fine without the shellac.
    Thanks John. The finish complements the design just beautifully John. I may have to add one to my own bucket list!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

John, what a beautiful chair, an instant heirloom! The quality is what we have become to expect from John Keeton! Well done sir!

PS So you finally got back to do some furniture turning? Well done John!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

WOW - what a stunning chair John. Absolutely beautiful.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Outstanding craftsmanship!!!

Absolutely an amazing work. The color is fantastic. Skill and craftsmanship combined.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

John, I echo all the prior comments and kudos. That chair is absolutely gorgeous. I'm sure you've gotten a lot of satisfaction sitting in it! Well done sir!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Fantastic project John!! You better add some more to that bucket list!!

Guys, thanks so much for the kind words!! I am actually excited about starting the next one - unusual for me as I am a “one off” kind of guy.

Ken, you recall very well my entry into turning - “I’m just getting a lathe to make legs for this table!” What a vortex I dove into.
    Last edited by John Keeton; 05-31-2020 at 8:30 PM.

I’m just getting a lathe to make legs for this table!” What a vortex I dove into.

Hi John, I was just getting ready to ask if the table legs in the 1st pic were the ones that inspied you to get your 1st lathe. But you answered that. I remember the episode well.
    What you have accomplished since then is amazing.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem