Thread: The Comb Back Windsor

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Comb Back Windsor

For nearly 50 years I have wanted to build a comb back Windsor chair, but the time, money and skill level never came together until recent years. I retired 6 years ago, so I have the time. The good Lord has been good to us, so the funds are available for all the necessary tools and materials.

So, over the past few months I bought several new tools, some specific to chair building. I built the various forms, jigs and kiln and acquired plans and DVDs from Curtis Buchanan. My plans were to turn all the legs, stretchers and supports, rive out the oak parts, rough them out, and complete the build in a class at John C. Campbell to be taught last week by Brian Cunfer. The class was for a loop back, but Brian graciously agreed to assist me with the comb back since I would have much of the work done. But, with the Covid pandemic the April woodturning class I was to teach at JCC was cancelled and it became evident that the May chair class was going to be cancelled as well.

So, I was on my own, but decided to give it a go since by mid April all the individual parts had been completed. There were moments, but things went fairly well. Curtis' plans and the videos were absolutely essential in absence of hands on instruction. Turnings are hard maple, seat is poplar and all other parts are white oak. Finish is a variant of the black on red done by Curtis and Pete Galbert. Learning the nuances of milk paint may have been one of the biggest challenges in this build!

A little over a decade ago I was posting my flat work builds on SMC, then I got into turning and with few exceptions that was the end of flat work. I have enjoyed this chair project so much, that I fear it may now compete with my turning! There will definitely be another one this coming winter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Left click my name for homepage link.